Saturday, November 23, 2013

Blog Tour: The Penance of Black Betty by Kelli Maine



Alistair Ingram is finally the man he wants to be, with the woman he wants to be with. No longer ruled by his manager, producer, agent or fans’ desires, he and Bethany “Black Betty” Stavars have settled into his LA mansion and have started a life together. Everything is as it should be…until he gets the call that Bethany has been brutally attacked in their home.


Alistair can barely stand to see Bethany’s bruised and battered body, but that’s not the worst of her injuries. She regains consciousness thinking she’s still married to her ex-husband—the man responsible for putting her in the hospital in the first place—and has no recollection of being with Alistair.

Unable to coax her brain into giving her any memories of the past ten years of her life, Bethany struggles to comprehend how she could’ve ended up on the other side of the country—California instead of Florida—and living with superstar actor, Alistair Ingram. Even worse, how had she become a dominatrix at a Vegas men’s’ club? 

Lucky for her, the past few months have been detailed in black and white newsprint in every gossip magazine she can get her hands on. 

With their relationship hanging in the balance, there’s only one thing Alistair can do. Jog her memory the best way he knows how. In bed.

Amazon * B&N * Smashwords 

*provided an ARC for an honest opinion*

When Kelli started Dolls & Doms I stalked that blog daily. I simply COULD NOT get enough of Alistair Ingram and Bethany "Black Betty" Stavars.

Once again these two amazing characters did not disappoint. The very first line had me holding my breath; and the first four chapters left me breathless, wrecked, ruined and waving my fist in the air at Kelli. How could she do that to them! On the edge of my seat I buckled down because the worst had to have happened, it could only go up and it did.

After a brutal attack leaves Bethany without her memories from the last ten years of her life, including her love of Alistair, he must work to help her remember who they were together; which isn't an easy task. The last thing she remembers is still being married to her abusive ex - the one she had been hiding from when she met Alistair - and living in Florida.

Alistair fell in love with Black Betty and struggles with the right and wrong of how much to tell Bethany of the woman she was and hid behind for so long. Bethany is the woman behind the wall that Black Betty created and she too struggles with who she is, who she was and who she wants to be as she learns about her past and bits of memories work their way back.

Alistair and Bethany are as hot as ever but in a more tender and endearing way. I fell in love with them all over again as they made their way to yet another HEA.




Have you read the first in the Dolls & Doms novella series?  No...here is everything you need to know and where to get your copy!

Movie star Alistair Ingram strolled into Dolls & Doms private men's club in Las Vegas for his bachelor party and limped out with a torn shirt, red welts covering his chest and a broken engagement splashed all over the pages of every celebrity magazine in the country. 
A session with club Dominatrix, Black Betty, will do that to a man. 

With Alistair's manager breathing down his neck and Black Betty's abusive ex-husband alerted to where she's been hiding for the past ten years, there's only one thing to do: 

Lie.

And get the hell out of Las Vegas.

But the real ruse is on Alistair and Black Betty, because despite both of their best efforts, they've gotten under each other's skin. Can their explicit dance of domination and submission end in anything other than disaster?


B&N * Smashwords * iTunes * Kobo




1.     I've noticed on your blog that you do a Writer's Wednesday. Tell us more about this and I have to ask, are you a plotter or a pantser?
  
Writer’s Wednesday is a weekly blog series where I post a writing tip. Since a lot of readers are also writers, I thought it would be a good idea to write about techniques that I find helpful. Plotter or Pantser? Both! I usually dive right into a manuscript and then stop after about fifty pages and write a synopsis so I can get my ideas for the beginning and end down in writing. If I outline I will absolutely stray from the outline, but having a rough plan for a three act structure keeps me on track.
  
2. You write a huge range of stories, where do you find your inspirations?
  
Everywhere! For Dolls & Doms (Alistair’s stories), I found the logo image first and had to do something with it. My NA, Leap of Faith, was inspired by a news article, and my Jan. 14 release, Brain Drain, was inspired by the death of someone very intelligent. I thought to myself, what a waste, all that knowledge gone!

3. When you write something especially dark or even especially sexy, like the D&D series, does that stick with you for the day? Do you find yourself angry or turned on for the rest of the day?      

I don’t. I think it’s because I skip around a lot and write more than one story at a time. It’s rare that I’m emotionally affected by a manuscript. Given (March 4, 2014), the last novel in the Give & Take series did make me teary-eyed at the end though. I’m going to miss Merrick and Rachael and their friends and family and Turtle Tear. In my mind, their story goes on.

4. Give us a little more behind the eyes of Alistair?

Alistair Ingram is a cocky, self-absorbed actor when we first meet him in The Submission of Alistair Ingram. Bethany Stavars (aka Black Betty) soon breaks his attitude when she comes crashing into his life with a whip and black stiletto boots. By The Penance of Black Betty, Alistair is a new man. He’s more mature and has a love he’s willing to give anything—even his acting career—to save.

5. What's next for Kelli Maine? What are you working on and when can we expect to get our hands on it?

Next up is Mindless Attraction on Jan. 14! This is a genre bending novel that I started writing a long time ago and have always adored. It’s got romance, mystery, humor and an invention that has the world’s eyes on our heroine, Darcy Delany and her hot new mystery man! Actually, Mystery Man would’ve been a great title… Look for the exclusive cover reveal and excerpt on The Rock Stars of Romance Dec. 13!

6. What was your inspiration for writing Alistair and Black Betty?

I stumbled across the logo image found at the top of www.dollsanddoms.blogspot.com and had to write a story around it.

7. If you could cast them in a movie, who would you select?

Alistair is Chase Crawford and Black Betty is Kristen Bell!

8. When you write, do you know where the story is headed exactly or do the characters surprise you?

When I write I have an idea of the beginning, middle, end and at least one twist/reveal along the way, but I give myself and my characters enough slack in the rope to either find their way back and start over, hang themselves, or reach the end and tie the plot up in a pretty bow. It’s usually a surprise to me too, but if you know your characters well enough, they’ll take you were the story should go based on the actions that are right for them.

9. If you were a Dom or Doll, what would your stage name be?

Ha! I’m not sure which I’d even be! Probably…a Dom if we’re talking about being around strangers. I don’t talk a lot around people I don’t know, I sit back and watch, so, maybe…The Principal. Lol. Keeping my eye on all the bad, bad boys.

10. And finally, any writing must-haves...snacks, music, drink?

If I write at night, Chewy Sweet Tarts and Diet Coke are my snack of choice. In the morning, Pop Tarts and coffee, preferably some seasonal flavor from Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts! 

11. What book are you reading now?

I just finished The Husband’s Secret by Liane Moriarty and loved it!

12. What inspired you to write your first book?

            My first book (never published) was written in 2007. It was a new adult (which wasn’t a thing then) paranormal romance titled Taken By Seven. It had Merrick and Rachael from my Give & Take series in it. I kept them, only older, and one scene—the kidnapping—and wrote Taken in 2012. Taken By Seven was inspired by all the paranormal romances I read back then. Probably the Sookie Stackhouse books and Twilight the most. No vampires or werewolves though. Only demons and demon hunters.

13. Do you ever experience writer's block?

            Yes! The minor experiences are due to the need to take a step back and let the plot brew in my head to find out where to go next. Typically, this lasts for a day or two. The times it lasts longer are motivational issues. Either I’m not writing the right book or genre or just burned out and need to take a break. Other times, I’ve had to make the decision that the book isn’t working and abandon it. I have dozens and dozens of abandoned projects that I might come back to one day, or might not.

14. Tell us about your writing process - what happens?

The idea always comes first. The characters and big-picture concept come into my head and won’t let go. Writers refer to this as their one-liner or elevator pitch. Then I have to determine if it’s something that has legs. Can I take this idea and create an entire novel? Typically no. It would be a great short story, but needs more “meat” to be a novel. If I can make it a novel, I start to think about it more and usually a first line or paragraph comes crashing into my head when I’m halfway between awake and asleep and I desperately try to grasp it again when I’m at my laptop. I’ve started keeping a pen and notebook on my nightstand. Once I’ve dedicated myself to writing it, I start and just go!

15. Where do you write?

            I have an office, but rarely use it. I like sitting at the kitchen table or propping myself up in bed with a bunch of pillows around me. Just like I skip around a lot and work on multiple projects at once, I’m the most productive if I move around and write in different spots.

16. If you could go anywhere in the world right now, where would you go?

I’d take a trip to Europe and tour castles!

17. Coffee of tea?

Coffee!

18. Cake or cupcakes?         

Cake – chocolate!

19. What's your favorite tv show?

Big Bang Theory. I understand Sheldon like he’s inside my head. Well, except for the physics part.

20. What's your favorite book of all time?
          
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon! The entire series – can’t pick just one Jamie and Claire book.

No comments:

Post a Comment