Thursday, November 21, 2013

Blog Tour: Shattered Ties by K.A. Robinson

 


With a former supermodel mother and a rock-and-roll legend father, Emma Preston has the best of everything. Nothing is as perfect as it seems though. After her parents divorce, she’s forced to live with her mother in a private Santa Monica community. Ignoring their parental roles, her mother becomes more focused on climbing the social ladder while her father is off on tour.

Growing up in a trailer park with his mother, Jesse is used to people looking down on him. When his mother begs him to submit an application for a scholarship to one of Santa Monica’s top private schools, he never expects to actually get it. When he does, he is forced to attend school with a bunch of rich kids. He ignores their stares as they judge him for having tattoos and a less than impressive car. As long as he has his surfboard and the guys at the tattoo shop, he knows he can make it through.

When Jesse shows up on the first day of school, Emma can’t help but be intrigued. Her mother would never approve of Emma talking to someone so poor, but she doesn’t care because something about Jesse draws her to him.

Jesse tries to hate Emma, but he discovers that he can’t resist her. Forced to hide their relationship from Emma’s mother and everyone else around them, things start to fall apart. When Jesse’s friend, Ally, decides to interfere, things go from bad to worse.

Can they survive their first love? Or will they be left with nothing more than shattered ties?

Book 1 of a 2 book series.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18515286-shattered-ties?ac=1

“So, what’s your story?” I asked, unable to stop myself.

He looked confused. “What do you mean?”

“I was just wondering where you were from.” I gestured to his tattoos. “You don’t fit the mold for most of the guys around here. Did you just move here or something?”

He hesitated for a split second before I saw determination fill his eyes. “Nope. I attended the public school across town all my life. I’m here on a scholarship. As for my tattoos, I like to be creative, and sometimes, I use my body to do it.”

I felt my cheeks turn red from embarrassment. I was sure he could get very creative with that body of his.
 
 
 
 Amazon

I could not put this book down once I started!! It was such an amazing read. It’s the story of Jesse and Emma, who are from two very different worlds, but come together when Jesse is thrust into Emma’s world. This story had heat, angst, a touch of sweetness, and plenty of smartass remarks to keep me smiling. It had everything I love in a book!
 
Emma is the rich girl cheerleader who everyone would think was a stuck up bitch, but she is not. While she is definitely rich, she is not a snob. She is very likable and more accepting than I ever would have imagined. She is the “princess”who fell in love with a “pauper”.
 
Jesse is from the wrong side of town but is thrown into Emma’s world to please his mother whom he loves and respects. He is an amazing guy wrapped up in the bad boy packaging we all love. Surfer? Check. Tattoos? Check. Smartass? Check. I freaking loved Jesse, and I have to say that one of my favorite parts of this book is that Jesse did not have the perfect 6 pack abs. He had a banging body, don’t get me wrong, but it almost made him seem just a little more real that he was not perfect. 
 
Yes, this is not the first time I have read the rich girl/poor boy scenario, but I still loved these two. They were both such amazing people! I felt everything they felt. I was so engrossed in this story once I began. I could not stand not knowing what happened next. Every time I put it down, I ended picking it right back up. 
 
This book was also quite a bit hotter than I remember the other books of K.A. Robinson that I have read. This Jesse is a little bit more experienced than I would expect a high school guy to be in the bedroom, but it definitely made for some steamy scenes between the sheets (and other places).
 
Now my disclaimer-I thought this was a stand-alone going into it. Obviously, I did not do my research. I loved this book, but the ending is not tied up tightly in a neat little bow. There is a second in the series, and I am definitely waiting impatiently for it!! I need more Jesse and Emma!


 
I’m not one to normally read a book when the main characters are in high school, but since this was a K.A. Robinson book I thought what the heck. You know what? I’m so glad I read it!

The book starts by introducing us to Emma Preston & Jesse Daniels at six years old. Emma comes from money since her dad is a famous musician and her mother is an ex model. Her mom is someone I immediately disliked. Emma’s mom takes her to a park on the wealthy end of town where she points out a young boy (Jesse) and his mom playing in a sandbox. She tells Emma that they shouldn’t be at this playground since they are trash and to stay away from them. Emma being a little girl doesn’t understand what a witch her mom is and goes to play in the sandbox after Jesse leaves it. Jesse ends up coming back to play with
Emma and she tells him:

“I’m not supposed to play with you. My mommy says so”
“Why not?”
“Because you don’t belong here, and you’re trash.”


Oh my heart just hurt for little Jesse! 
Emma’s mom is a straight up Bitch.

After the prologue we skip ahead to their junior year in high school.

I’ll start with Jesse and his mom, Trish. Trish is so sweet! She is everything you want in a mom. She has worked hard over the years to make sure Jesse has the best life she can provide after his dad left when he was little. Jesse attends a public school, but Trish has Jesse apply for a scholarship to move him to Hamrick High School in hopes he will get a better education. Jesse goes along with it hoping to gain a scholarship to college so his mom doesn’t have to take out loans to get him there. Jesse himself doesn’t want to go to college; he wants to be a tattoo artist. He works at Rick’s Tattoo Shop as clean up kid. Knowing his mom has worked his whole life to provide for him he knows he has no choice to give up his dream and to attend college.

Emma goes to Hamrick High School; it’s where all the wealthy kids go. By this time, Emma and her mother, Andria, do not see eye to eye anymore. In fact, Emma can’t stand her mom. Andria is money greedy, she uses Emma to help move up the social ladder. Emma loves her father, Alexander, but has to stay in Santa Monica with her mother while she’s in school and he’s in London on tour with his band. To keep herself busy she pours her heart and soul into cheerleading. This year she is Co-Captain of her squad. For the last two years she has been crushing on the star quarterback of their school, Todd Bex. It seems this year is the year he finally notices her and takes an interest, but there is a new kid in school who has her thinking maybe Todd isn’t the right one for her.

The Story is filled out by secondary characters like Jesse’s best friends Andy and Ally, who are twins. Andy is a ladies’ man and Ally is the badass girl friend. She’s just friend. Lucy is Emma’s best friend; we don’t see too much of her but when we do she is pretty awesome and always seems to have Emma’s back when it comes to everything, including her nasty mother.

This story had me happy, sad, and mad. The forbidden love had me hooked from page one. You want Emma and Jesse to be together so bad but with Emma’s nasty mother and Jesse feeling like he will never be good enough for her it seemed like things were stacked against them…. Or are they? The little twist and turns during the book were perfect. I was very excited to get my hands on this book. It was a quick read, four hours max, which I enjoyed. I did think it was a standalone but its not. There really isn’t a cliffhanger just a PERFECT set up for book two… which I need NOW. Please and Thank You Kelly!


 




Hi Kelly!! 
Thank you for having us!!

Lo: Hey Chick! Long time no see! I have missed you dearly as I know you have missed me. I really need to get to more signings so we can share food again. I adore you and your books as you know. Ready to tell us all your secrets?
I’m ready! I’m also ready to steal your fries again! LOL

Lyndsie: I doubt you remember me from Vegas but we were Elevator Buddies in the Hardrock. You were totally awesome when you signed my photobook for me after the Saturday signing. And I hope you got a good laugh when I ummm used the wrong card to get us up to our floor… the cocktails were flowing that night a little too much :).
Haha!!! I remember you! :D

How much research do you do?
For Shattered Ties, I did a lot of research on Santa Monica and surfing. I seriously trip over air, so I had NO clue how to surf. Google was my friend for a couple of days. YouTube too.

Do you write every day, 5 days a week or?          
I usually write 7 days a week. If I’m not writing, I’m editing. It’s a never ending cycle, but I love it. :)

Do you work to an outline or plot or do you prefer just see where an idea takes you?
I know where a story starts and where it ends. The rest? I just shut off my brain and start typing. I let the characters tell me where the story needs to go. I tried to do an outline once. It was horrible. The book ended up nothing like the outline.

What was the hardest part of writing your book?
With Shattered Ties, the ending was probably the hardest part to write.

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
I love you guys so much. You have no idea just how much. 

What book/s are you reading at present?
I’m re-reading The Avoiding Series by K.A. Linde.  

Okay because we love this game we are going to play would you rather…

Would you rather read a book or write a book?
Tie. I love doing both. 

Would you rather write a sex scene or write a fight scene?
Oh crap. I love doing both. Tie again.

Would you rather sign boobs or sign books?
HAHA Oh lord. Well…. I’ve signed a lot of both. I’m going to say books because my signature doesn’t wash off of those. 

Would you rather claim Drake or Jesse as your personal book boyfriend?
I’m going for a K.A., Drake, and Jesse sandwich. :D

Rapid Fire Questions 
Answer with whatever pops in your head first! No cheating!

Favorite Color: Blue
Favorite Band: I change this a lot. Right now? Trapt and Smile Empty Soul
Favorite Book: There are sooo many. Probably the Harry Potter Series
Favorite Drink: Pop – Diet Pepsi
Favorite Sex Position: Oh shit. NEEEEXT. lol

Lyndsie: Thank you so much Kelly for taking the time to sit down with us!! I hope to see you at Naughty Mafia 2014. Elevators Rock!!! ;)
Heck yes!

Lo: Thanks so much for answering our questions and playing our games, even if you do suck at would you rather! ;) If don’t see you in Chicago next year, I will definitely see you in TN!!
I can’t wait to see you again, Lo! <3 you (Save me some fries!)




  


No comments:

Post a Comment