Monday, November 18, 2013

Hard To Love You by Megan Smith


What do you do when the one you’ve always wanted becomes too Hard to Love?
Hailey Taylor's heart has always belonged to Mason Cahill, but one secret has changed everything.
Things on the baseball field come easy for Mason Cahill. Why can’t the rest of his life be simple? Mason's finally admitted he wants the one girl he can be himself around, but one secret destroyed that.
Their love isn't sweet and simple. It's hot, loud, and messy. But now, when he's finally all in, she’s folded. Sparks fly. Tempers flare. Hearts shatter. One thing is certain… everything has changed.
Who will be too Hard to Love?
Mature New Adult novel—contains adult content, sexual situations and mature topics. Suited for ages 18 and up.

“He’s not seeing anyone and he hasn’t done for a long time. Mason could never, ever hate you. He has been working on his house when he isn’t on the road. He’s waiting for you Hailey.”
Tears burn my eyes. I swallow hard.
“He loves you, Hailey. I think he loves you more now than he did before.”
“You’re damn right I do.” Startled at the voice, I jump and spin around.
The room grows quiet; you could hear a pin drop. The bag in my hand feels like a ticking time bomb. Mason takes a step closer to me and without apology plants his lips on mine. My heart stops completely, I stop breathing. Mason cups my face with his hands and tears fall from my closed eyes. I grip his shirt with one of my hands and hold on for dear life. I don’t ever want to be apart from this man again.
Mason places another kiss on my lips, more gently this time, and wipes the tears away with his thumbs. “I love you Hailey, don’t ever doubt that. You’ve always held a special place in my heart and always will.”
Sniffles echo in the bathroom and they aren’t from me. I giggle; I forgot MacKenzie was in the room with us. “I’m sorry.” She cries. MacKenzie stands up and hugs both Mason and me. “I love you two, now please get your shit together. I want my best friend back.” Mason places a kiss on my forehead. “And I need an answer to a question.” MacKenzie looks at me.


*****5 hard EASY to love stars.*****
You know those characters that make you so mad that you want to throat punch them, knee them in the balls, and then kick them while they are rolling around on the ground in pain?
Yeah- that's how I feel about Mason Cahill.

You know those characters that you realize that maybe you were actually wrong about?
The one who you realize under all the nonsense and misunderstandings is someone you actually care about?
The one who not only loves but loves harder than all the others?
Yeah- you know what? That's Mason Cahill too.

And this is my dilemma.
The one I constantly go back and forth about.
Hate him, love him, loathe him, adore him.

Him. Him. Him.
Mason Cahill.
He makes me want to scream at him and then kiss him afterwards.
Hailey- I understand girl- I GET IT!!!


“If you love something, set it free. If it comes back it’s yours. If it doesn’t, it never was.” ~Richard Bach
Hard To Love You picks right up where Easy To Love You left off.
Mason, Hailey, and family are celebrating Hunter and Mackenzie's engagement at a local bar and when Hailey walks out of the bathroom her world is shattered when she sees Mason in a corner making out with hoe bag Lily.
Ugh that damn Lily- that is one character that needs to be driven off a cliff to her death- BITCH!
Mackenzie takes care of the smug look that slut face is sporting with a badass punch to her nasty mouth.

Hailey is so upset that she won't give Mason the chance to explain at first and she runs off instead of dealing with the situation.
When Mason finally talks to Hailey he is very vague with her. You see, Lily told him a few things that could potentially hurt his family and with Hunter and Mackenzie's wedding on the horizon he will do anything, even sacrifice his own happiness with Hailey, to shield the ones he loves from dealing with the fallout and ruining Mackenzie and Hunter's big day.

I wanted to shake him so hard for keeping his mouth shut!
SECRETS-SECRETS-SECRETS
They are NO good!
“And I can’t be with you until you tell me. I can’t go around thinking all these crazy thoughts in my head. You know I’ve got issues. I hate that unwanted, unloved feeling and that is exactly how I feel right now. We’ve kept enough secrets and I’m over it, Mase. I’m fucking done.”
I look her in the eyes one last time before I turn to leave and say the words that I will only ever say to her, “I love you, Hailey, only and always you.” I turn on my heel and leave her there.
After a few weeks of having flowers delivered with little messages from Mason, Hailey realizes that she needs to get out, have some fun, be a person again and not a hot mess that is just lying around. So she takes up an offer to go watch a band perform at a local bar to get out of the house.
And of course who else happens to be at the bar? Yep- Mason.

Mason asks Hailey to dance, kind of as a 'letting go' type thing and OH.MY.GOD. I was in tears!
Mason lays it all out for Hailey- his heart and soul, but she just can't get past that fact the he is keeping a secret from her. It just broke my heart!



What I love about this book is that we also get to see how Mason and Hailey started out.
Hailey has been best friends with Mackenzie for years and in turn has spent a lot of time at the Cahill's house. Hailey has issues of not feeling loved or wanted due to relationships in her past.  Mason has become a protector of sorts for her and that eventually blossomed into more than either of them ever expected.


Let me take a break from Mason and Hailey and talk about Mackenzie and Hunter (AKA my book husband).
THEY ARE GETTING MARRIED!!!!
***Happy Dance***
***SO EXCITED***
Sweet, incredible, loving, and EVERYTHING I could have ever dreamed of for them.
The build up and their wedding?!?
PERFECTION- I.LOVED.IT!!!
From the old, the new, the borrowed, the blue, the vows- it was pure beauty at its finest.


“MacKenzie, I give you this ring, as a symbol of my love, and my choice to share my life and dreams with you. I give you this ring, with the pledge to love you, today, tomorrow, and always.”
“Hunter, I give you this ring, as a symbol of my love, and my choice to share my life and dreams with you. I give you this ring, with the pledge to love you, today, tomorrow, and always.”
With so much happiness and love in the air, Hailey allows herself to just be for a while with Mason even if it's only temporary.

“I just want to pretend. Even if it’s only for a little bit, okay? Act like nothing happened. Just,” she takes a deep breath then lets it out, “kiss me.”
Whipped cream? Check.
Chocolate syrup? Check.
Milk? Wait what?!? Milk? Um...check?

Yeah I say forgetting any and every thing but each other is a success!
“I’m going to tell you everything, it’s killing me to keep it from you. I’m trying not to break my promise to you. Just give me a little bit more time.” He kisses me. “I love you more than anything, Hailey. I’d even give up baseball for you. Just…” Mason takes a deep breath. “I need a little more time.”

The whole entire time I was thinking- tell her Mason- FOR THE LOVE OF GOD TELL HER!!!

JUST.TELL.HER!!!

But of course this is is Mason and Hailey we are talking about here.
They love hard but fighter harder at times.
GET.IT.TOGETHER.PLEASE!
You should LOVE HARDER then anything in the world and FIGHT HARDER for that love!
That once in a lifetime love. That soul mate love.
But sometimes walking away is the only choice- sometimes you have to find your own way.
My mirror has officially shattered.

When time passes will Mason and Hailey mend their hearts and find their way back together?
Or will they realize that being hard to love really isn't worth it in the end?

"Our love isn’t sweet and simple; it never was and probably never will be. It’s hot, loud and messy and I wouldn’t want it any other way."
*******************************************
I love this series. I love the realness (hello stretch marks and extra baby weight), I love the characters and the family aspect of them whether they are bound by blood or choice. I love that at times I don't get it. I love that it makes me want to scream but then it makes me smile, it makes me want to cry but then it makes me laugh, it makes my heart break but then it mends it afterwards. These characters become a part of you more and more with each and every page and allowing a character or group of characters to snag a piece of you is one of the best parts of reading.
I'm looking forward to many, many more books or even novellas about these characters because at the end of the day you can be TRYING not to love them but they are all so EASY to love so don't make it HARD on yourself- just LET go and love them- you NEED to.

***I was given an ARC copy for an honest review.***





Hard To Love You Trailer

Megan is the author of USA Today and Amazon Bestselling novel, Trying Not To Love You.

She lives in New Jersey, with her husband and son. 
During the day Megan is behind a desk purchasing computer equipment. At night, she's writing and planned for her next release or chasing around her very active son.

No comments:

Post a Comment