Friday, January 3, 2014

Return to Poughkeepsie by Debra Anastasia Review




Beckett Taylor is a murderer. His calling, his craft are destruction and

intimidation—whether he wants it that way now or not. He left Poughkeepsie
to keep his brothers safe, to keep Eve safe. Set up with happy lives to
live, they’re better off without him, right?

But all his willpower crumbles when he hears his brother Blake’s frantic
voice on the phone. An unknown enemy has moved in on his old territory, and
Livia’s been taken. In an instant, Beckett knows it will take an attack
only he and Eve can execute to bring her back. All his self-imposed
embargoes are torn to shreds, perhaps along with the new man he’s struggled

to become.
“Brother, call Eve. I’ll be there soon.”

In this emotional and action-packed sequel to Poughkeepsie, Debra Anastasia
conjures a tale of love at its most raw and ragged. With Beckett and Eve,
how could we expect anything less? But even when it’s messy, not magical,
true love perseveres. Real love finds a way—for better or for worse until
death does part.



I have been waiting for this book for what seems like forever and the time has finally come!!! I LOVED loved loved Poughkeepsie (book 1). I fell in love with Blake, Cole and Beckett and their women. I also fell in love with Debra Anastasia’s writing.

I have a special place in my heart for this series because I grew up in the town just north of Poughkeepsie, Hyde Park. I grew up going into Poughkeepsie to go to the Mall or bars. I have been in that train station more times than I can count. So this series for me is real.

****PLEASE DO NOT READ FURTHER IF YOU HAVE NOT READ POUGHKEEPSIE 
(book 1)***

Return to Poughkeepsie starts off with Beckett being his usual selfish bastard self away from his brothers and his woman. He is trying to be a better person so he can be worthy of Eve.

We got to see a lot of Blake and Cole and how they were doing with the absence of Beckett. 

Blake and Livia have a daughter and are as adorable together as they were in book 1. I was hoping to hear what number smile Livia had given Blake but it was left out. Maybe the number was too high, Blake stopped counting. At least that is my hope.

Kyle and Cole struggle with infertility and their fears and emotions are so raw and real that you felt for them. Cole was still an amazing man and so supportive of Kyle that really just tugged on my heartstrings.  I think I feel in love with Cole in this book.

Then there was Eve. She was trying to survive with Beckett. She started out as a strip club bouncer and then working a corporate 9-5er. But she hadn’t changed deep down and still loved the kill and that life. She was brought back in to protect her loved ones since Beckett was gone.

Debra Anastasia takes on a journey with these amazing characters. There was love:

“You’re not protecting me from your pain. I feel all of it, except I feel it alone when you won’t let me help. Come to me. Let me kiss your hair. Let me make love to you for no reason at all. I’m yours forever.”

There is humor:
“Dear God, that nap was better than money, sex and more money.”

There was a LOT of  action and danger. A new player showed up in town, Mary Ellen. This bitch was batshit crazy! She is the daughter of a big player and was after parts of Poughkeepsie. Eve will not let Poughkeepsie or her family be threatened by Mary Ellen.

I won’t give you any more details because I refuse to spoil this book for you. I will give you my thoughts. That is why you tuned in, right? There were times in this book that I was completely hooked and couldn’t look away. Then there were times that I wanted it to speed up. I was sad that Eve and Beckett weren’t together throughout the whole book but completely understand why they weren’t in the end. There was another new character introduced in this book, Ryan. He is a cop under Livia and Kyle’s dad. I kind of fell in love with him. I almost was debating who I wanted Eve to be with. Ryan is everything Eve should want but did she chose him?????? I won’t tell you, you have to read it yourself.

All in All, I liked this book. The action and suspense was great. The explosiveness between Eve and Beckett was better than ever. The writing is still hands down phenomenal. Debra Anastasia is an amazing story teller and I was pulled in by her details. I was incredibly please to find out that there will be a book 3. I need more of these brothers that I have fallen so in love with.   

“I was dead without you. Every day” ~~Beckett






Debra Anastasia is busy, just like every other mom. There's dinner, the

dogs, the two kids, the two kids, and her ongoing battle with...ahem...
digestive issues, which combined with her adolescent boy sense of humor
makes for colorful and sometimes cringe-worthy social media updates. Her
first love and crowning achievement is her thriving career as the weirdest
mom on the block.
Her writing started a decent handful of years ago when--along with the
animals and humans in her house--the voices of characters started
whispering stories in Debra's ear. Insomnia was the gateway to plots that
wouldn't give up, wouldn't let go. Now they stalk her everywhere. Halfway
through making lunches, a twist takes hold and--fingers full of peanut
butter--she finds somewhere, anywhere to write it down.



She's eternally grateful to Omnific Publishing, which has now published
four of her books: two in the Seraphim Series and two in the Poughkeepsie
Brotherhood Series, as well as her novella, Late Night with Andres. That
one is special because 100% of the proceeds go to breast cancer research.
(So go get it right now, please!) She also very much appreciates her
open-minded readers, who embrace everything she has to offer, with a focus
on anti-heroes and bathroom humor.
Debra lives in Maryland with her family. You can find her at
DebraAnastasia.com and on Twitter @Debra_Anastasia. But be prepared.


No comments:

Post a Comment