Monday, May 12, 2014

Review: Monster in His Eyes by J.M. Darhower



Ignazio Vitale is not a good man.

I suspect it, the first time I see him, sense the air of danger that surrounds the man. He has a way of commanding attention, of taking control, of knowing what I'm thinking before I even do.

It's alarming and alluring. It's dark and deadly. It's everything I've ever wanted but the last thing I truly need. Obsession.

It doesn't take him long to draw me into his web, charming me into his bed and trapping me in his life, a life I know nothing about until it's too late. He has secrets, secrets I can't fathom, secrets that make it so I can't walk away, no matter how much I beg him to let me go. I see it sometimes in his eyes, a darkness that's both terrifying and thrilling. He's a monster, wrapped up in a pretty package, and what I find when I unmask him changes everything.

I want to hate him.

Sometimes, I do.

But it doesn't stop me from loving him, too.




I have a weird way to classify books in my head. There are three categories. 1. A book is good but I can put it down and carry on with my life 2. A book is so good that when I have to commute into work, I have to make my kindle read to me using text-to-speech because I need more story. And then there is the last category. This one is the one where the book is soooooo amazing that I can’t have my kindle read to me because I need to see the greatness with my own eyes. Monster in His Eyes is definitely in the last category. This book was dark and delicious and I hated that I had to go to work.

Karissa is a college freshman with no direction in life. She was sheltered by her mother and never stayed in one place for long, always moving. She takes a Philosophy class and has the “demon” professor. Every college has one and she just can’t win with him. After class one day, she runs into Naz. And then runs into him again that very night.

“In a city of nearly two million people, the odds of every running into him twice are slim to none, much less twice in one day. Maybe it’s fate.” ~ Karissa

Naz is a bad man. He makes that very clear to Karissa. But he is good to her. He treats her like his queen. We only can speculate what he does for a living and his past is what molded the man we are introduced to. Naz is one of those characters that you know you shouldn’t like, but you love him anyway. You feel like you shouldn’t be rooting for them to be together, that it isn’t the right answer but damn it all, you totally do.

“I’m warning you. I’m not a good man, Karissa, and I never will be. So don’t think you can fix me, or that I’ll change, because I won’t. I can’t.” ~Naz

These two in bed was out of this world hot!!! I will warn you though that some of the sex is rough. Like hard core rough.

“It isn’t until he’s inside of me, pounding against me, his arms wrapped around me, holding me so tightly I can hardly breathe, fucking me so hard I can barely think, that I realize just how much I’ve been missing. Everything before this moment was child’s play, but this man is the major leagues.” ~Karissa

(Sorry for all the quotes but I can’t do this book enough justice)
J.M. Darhower’s writing was once again phenomenal . I love her Sempre series and she nailed it again with this one. I was completely sucked into this book. I love a good dark read and I haven’t read one in a while. This was perfection for me. It has all the elements to a book I love. This book will be going on my favorite list this year! I can’t wait for the conclusion of their story. This book did not end in a cliffhanger but you definitely want to know what happens next. 



 JM Darhower is the author of the New Adult Sempre series (Sempre & Sempre: Redemption), andthe paranormal romance novella, Extinguish. She lives in a tiny town in the Carolinas with her family, where she churns out more words than will ever see the light of day. She has a deep passion for politics and human rights, and when she isn’t writing she’s usually ranting about those things. Chronic crimper with a vulgar mouth, she admits to having a Twitter addiction. You can find her there.








No comments:

Post a Comment