Friday, July 4, 2014

Kick by Holly Roberts



Cami Avesque is a shy, wannabe journalist, working for the largest newspaper in Ohio. She’s stuck editing classified ads until she lands her big break. That break comes when the only female sports reporter goes on bed rest for the remainder of her pregnancy. For some reason, Cami is chosen to cover The Slam, a rugby team in Colt, Ohio. They have a chance of going all the way to the Rugby League Championship.

Unfortunately, Cami has a poor track record with jocks and going all the way is one of her problems. Because of her past, she hides her assets behind clothes that are a size too large and big glasses that camouflage the sexual sizzle that eats ripped bodies for lunch. Shy, she must remember she’s shy. If only man muscle didn't bring her wild side out to play she might survive a rugby try.

Gorgeous brothers, Van and Joel Stelson, own, manage, and play for The Slam. They see through Cami’s cover up and attack in order to make their goal. Who will be the first to get her in bed? Who will be the first to win her heart?

Remember in rugby… 80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Lets Ruck!




add-to-goodreads-button31









Coming in to this book I was SUPER excited. I have read the other two books in this series and LOVED THEM. I love Holly's style of writing and I knew I was going to get some hot alpha athletes that were going to make me swoon. Kick is about a Rugby team and their journey to the championship game. I know absolutely nothing about the sport. Then I read this:
 
Ruck me.
Maul me.
Make me Scrum. 
 
I am sold. I now want to know everything there is to know about Rugby. Hot Alpha athletes that wear a shirt like that? YES PLEASE! 
 
Cami Avesque is a tadpole in the sea of fish at her job at the Cleaveland News and Journal. She works in the classifieds hoping to work her way up to investigative journalism. She gets her big break when the current sports journalist has to be put on bed rest. Cami is sent to Colt, Ohio to cover The Slam. The Slam are headed for the Championship and they need good publicity. It is Cami's job to write a four part series on the Slam and what makes everyone fall in love with Rugby. There is just a slight problem. She knows nothing about the sport and hot, sexy athletes with abs you would want to lick are her weakness.  Cami has been burned too many times by that type of man and has become a shell of a person. She wear bra's too tight to hide her large breasts, shirts to big and pants that are way too baggy. She doesn't like attention and that is her way of staying unnoticed. At times Cami drove me insane. She had "shy Cami" and "wild Cami". There were times she would get the courage to step out of her shell and just live. She would make eye contact and hold her head up high. Then she would revert back. I hated that. It took me quite a bit of the book to connect with Cami. Once I really started to get to know the real Cami I loved her. I needed her to grow up and be strong and watching that happen throughout the book is what made me love her. 

Joel Stelson. That man is sex on a stick and I loved EVERYTHING about him. I loved him from the first time I read his name in this book. It took a bit to get to his side of the story in this book but when I finally got more than just a taste of him I was hooked. Joel is for sure book boyfriend material. Sexy, sweet, a dirty mouth, and did I mention  sexy? YUMMY. Joel had something horrific happen to him when he was young and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I can see why he is does some of the things he does because it affected him. That didn't make me love him any less. There were times I wanted to shake him and say "Open your damn eyes! It is right in front of you!" Joel is the co-owner of The Slam with his brother Van. They both own, manage, and play for the team. 

Enter Van Stelson. I have my mixed emotions about him. He is sexy and he knows it. He is quite the player and stands by the rule that one night is enough and don't double dip. At first I liked Van but the further it got in to the book I really started to despise him. He was too cocky for my liking and at times he was just a flat out ass hat.  He did redeem himself and that is what helped to push this book to four stars. 

This is the story of a Rugby team that has earned their way to the championship but it is so much more. There are many bumbs on the road there. Love triangle between brothers is never a good thing and this one gets sticky. 

I am sad that this is the last book in this series because I LOVE this series. Anytime you have sexy athletes, hot sex, and a great writing you know it's going to be amazing. I really hope that Holly can be persuaded to write more in this series. Hockey sounds great! If you haven't read this series I highly recommend it. The are must one-click books.





“You’re beautiful.” He stared into my eyes not moving or, more precisely, making a move. 

Without thinking, I went to my tiptoes and pressed my lips gently to his. His arms circled me or I would have fallen. He pulled me against his rock-hard chest making me feel stable. No… that wasn’t it… invincible. Cami the prude was gone.

I needed to fuck Van Stelson.

The kiss changed as Van took over. His fingers sought the zipper on the back of my dress. Once the material was loose, he pulled the sleeves down, exposing my lace bra and dipping his rough fingertips under the material.

“God, your tits are incredible,” he said with a whispery groan. 

Every nerve ending on my body centered on each stroke against my breast. Before I realized what I was doing, my arms were around him, my fingernails digging into his back. A dizzying whirl of sexual need shot straight to my inner thighs. His mouth took complete control. He sucked my lower lip continuing his assault with gentle nips. I could no longer think past the driving ache that wanted to explode from my body. Never had I felt such blinding need. He pushed my dress past my hips until it pooled on the floor. I had no idea that he unclipped my bra until it fell to the floor too. He swung me into his arms without ending the kiss. My shoes fell off along the way. I couldn’t think. I didn’t want to think.

His bedroom was dark, but he knew where the most important piece of furniture was, and within seconds of entering, I was on it. His chest, I wanted to feel his bare chest against my naked breasts. I started working the buttons, but he had no patience. He pushed my fingers aside and buttons went flying. I was drunk, he was sexy as hell, and now all I wanted were his pants. Coming off. Now.

He pulled back slightly so he could help me with his zipper. I couldn’t think past where I needed his body next. He shuffled above me and I heard a drawer next to the bed open. A minute later, the unmistakable sound of a condom wrapper being torn open. God, I hadn’t thought that far, but good. So good.

The tip of his cock pushed against me.


 
Holly S. Roberts is the author of twenty books using three pseudonyms. She goes from hot and steamy athletes, kinky BDSM, vampires, weres and dragons shifters to humorous non-fiction police procedural. She lives with husband of thirty-five years and two spoiled dog along with a wild rabbit who adopted the family and visits daily. For all the latest information on her fantasy writing world and real life misadventures as a sex crimes detective sign up for her mailing list at






add-to-goodreads-button31







add-to-goodreads-button31





2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the great review Stephanie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A definite keeper to be read again. I love Holly Roberts' writing style and building of the relationship.

    ReplyDelete