Saturday, November 8, 2014

Bait by M. Mabie




He was trouble from the start, but I couldn't resist.
[She was the best kind of trouble. The kind that was so wrong, it felt right.]

I’ve tried and failed to stay away from him.
[I’ve done everything in my power to make her mine and keep her.]

He’s almost impossible to say no to.
[She never tells me yes.]

We’re always fighting.
[When we’re not fighting, we’re… well… making up.]

He makes me laugh so hard.
[I miss her laugh the most.]

I'm a liar.
[She knows the truth, but won’t admit it.]

Sometimes, I wish I'd never met him.
[I wish we could meet all over again. I'd do better.]

His girlfriend knows.
[The guy she’s with is a fool.]

I’ll never love anyone like I love him.
[She doesn’t love me enough to choose us.]

It was the wrong place.
[It was the wrong time.]

It should have been him.
[It will always be her.]


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21856789-bait





I have been sitting here at my computer staring at my screen for ten minutes trying to figure out how to start this review. There are so many thoughts running through my mind about this book. There are not enough words to describe how AMAZING, FANTASTIC, PHENOMENAL, and GUT WRENCHING this book is. I could write the best review I have ever written and it would not be able to do this book justice; but here it goes...

The synopsis for Bait intrigued me. It was different. I loved it. Going into this book I knew it was going to leave me with a hangover. I didn't realize how big of a hangover I would have. I can't stop thinking about this book. It was all consuming when I read it and it is still all consuming. When I wasn't reading, it was all I thought about. I couldn't wait to get back to it. I HAD to know what was going to happen. Even though this book slowly chipped away at my heart it would put it back together only to do it all over again. And again. And AGAIN. I became addicted. Bait is a drug that I couldn't get enough of. I coudn't read fast enough because I had to know what was going to happen, yet I had to slow down so I could savor it.

Blake Warren is trained chef who lives in Seattle. She has the text book perfect life. Good job, cookie cutter boyfriend, great family and friends. Everything is always perfect on the outside but the inside is a completely different story. I loved Blake and I hated her too. I understood where she was coming from, I got her. I connected more with this character then I have any other. I got it. I completely got it. I know why she did what she did, not that I liked it but I understand it. Blake makes a trip to San Francisco to visit her best friend Micah for her graduation party. That trip would completely change her life and the course of her future. 

Casey Moore is the man that every guy wants to be and that every girls wants to be with. He is sweet, sexy, thoughtful, compassionate, and patient. I fell hard for him. He is certifiably at the top of my book boyfriend list. I felt everything he felt. His heart broke, so did mine. His heart was so full of love, so was mine. I need more Casey. I can't get enough of him. There could be ten books in this series and I still wouldn't have my fill of Casey.

This story progresses over a year and a half, almost two years. It starts with Casey and Blake meeting at Hook, Line, and Sinker. The local bar in San Fran. Neither knew going into that night what was in store or the journey they were about to embark on. The attraction is instant. The chemistry is off the charts. There is just a slight problem. She has a boyfriend and he has a girlfriend. Enter love triangle. This is not your typical love triangle though. This is so much more. Grant is Blake's boyfriend. I don't want to talk too much about him because even though he is her boyfriend this isn't his story. I didn't really like Grant. Technically there was nothing wrong with him. He was a good guy, had a great job, and did right by Blake. But he isn't right for Blake. Just because it looks good on paper doesn't mean it's right. Aly is Casey's girlfriend. I HATE ALY. Seriously. I wanted strangle her. I don't feel bad for her one bit. I really hope she falls off a cliff in the next book.



*Side note-I am listening to the playlist and I Won't Give up by Jason Mraz just came on. I have tears streaming down my face. That's how much this book gave me the feels. It HURTS to think about Casey and what he went through. It physically put pain in my chest.*

Bait is a book filled with cheating. Technically it is cheating but I can't really consider Casey nor Blake home wreckers. You can't break something that is already broken. This book is so much more than the cheating. The love in this book is more than just love. It indescribable the amount of chemistry and feelings that are in this book. The pull. The back and forth. The want. It's a yo-yo with your heart that just won't let go. I know a lot of people refuse to read books that have cheating in them but I beg you to look past that and read Casey and Blake's story.





You will curse anyone and everyone while reading this book. M. Mabie will NOT be your favorite person. I haven't read a book that has made me want to throw my kindle in a LONG time. Think Thoughtless mixed with the Avoiding series and you will get Bait. I HATE comparing books. It's like apples and oranges. They are both fruit but they are so different. Kudos to M. for writing a phenomenal book that puts you through the ringer but you love Every. Single. Minute. of it. Casey is worth it all.

"Don't think about anything but me. That's what I want. I'm going to take everything you're wearing off. I'm going to touch every inch of you with my mouth. And I'm not going to pretend this just a fling tonight, like I've done every time. For one night, I want you to pretend like it's me you're promised to," his thumbs ran over my lips, "Mine to care for and adore. Say yes to me. Even if it is only for tonight. Please?"

Bait is a dual POV book. Getting to see both sides made this book so much better. I loved how one chapter ended with Casey's thoughts and then started the next chapter with Blake thinking the same thing; then ending with Blake's thoughts and starting with Casey saying the same. They were so much more connected than they even knew.


I screamed at my kindle so many times. I was yelling at them, hoping that they would hear and the words on the page would change. They didn't. But that's okay because this is their story to tell, not mine. This is book one in the series and I can't wait to get more of their story.  Many people have talked about the cliff. I wouldn't really call it a cliff. It's more of a "I NEED MORE AND I NEED IT NOW!" The ending actually ended at the perfect spot. It was the perfect last sentence. It set it up for more, and more I need. Come on January!! I can't say enough that this is a MUST READ. I want to scream it from the roof tops. I want to walk down the street and tell every single person I pass to read this book. To experience what I experienced while reading it. Everyone needs to feel what I felt. This is why I love reading. I can get lost in a story and go through the gauntlet of emotion.







I’m really not sure how I’m going to write this review. I think no matter what I say I won’t be able to do Bait justice.  This book was completely addictive and absolutely amazing. It drew me in and wouldn’t let me go. I didn’t want to put it down and when I had to put it down I couldn’t stop thinking about Blake and Casey. It’s been awhile since a book completely consumed every bit of me, but Bait reminded me why I love to read. 

Blake lived a “perfect” life. She had a great childhood with great parents and siblings. Everything went right for Blake and when she met the “perfect” man she went along with it thinking it was the right thing to do. She didn’t know what she was missing; she thought this was how love and life were suppose to be. All that was thrown out the window when she met him…….Casey. He was everything her mind thought she didn’t want, but was everything her body and soul needed.

Casey is cursing through life at his own pace. Keeping himself busy with work and climbing the ladder to the top. He never wanted a relationship and didn’t think it was for him, until he saw her. At first Casey tried to stay away from Blake knowing she was unavailable, but the attraction to Blake was too strong. 

Yes this book is about cheating, but it’s so much more than that. It’s about finding the ONE even if it’s at the wrong time. Blake and Casey’s love is something they can’t turn away from. It’s a magnetic force that neither can explain nor can never forget. One of my favorite parts of the book what how Blake and Casey’s thoughts were even intertwined. This book is a dual POV and alternated each chapter between Blake and Casey. Each chapter ended and began with the same thought the other one was having. It really set the book apart from anything else I’ve read.

Blake…….I have a love/hate relationship with her. While she annoyed me and pissed me off so many times, I also got her. I understand her motives of what she did. I truly think it’s what she thought was the right thing to do even if she hurt the person she loved the most. 

Casey, my dear sweet Casey. He has jumped to the very top of my book boyfriend list. He is sweet and just amazing but still has a bit of bad boy in him. My heart broke for him so many times. There was even a scene in the book where I couldn’t breathe. I literally held my breath till the scene was over. Oh he also has a kick ass head of hair. I want to run my hands through those messy curls. 

If you are looking for that book that will make you feel the feels…..this is it. If you are looking for that book that has the angst you love……this is it. I promise you won’t be disappointed. Yes there were times when I wanted to yell, throw, and brake my kindle, but isn’t that what makes reading fun? When we get so invested in a book that it affects us emotionally down to the core.  

This was my first M. Mabie book and let me tell you it won’t be my last. Not only am I waiting on pins and needles for Sail (book 2 in the Wake series), I will read anything she releases. She has made me a forever fan.





Casey's: 



Blake's:













M. Mabie lives in Illinois, NOT Chicago, with her husband. She loves writing for Fifty5Cents Book Blog, which she owns and operates, usually poorly.

She cares about politics, but won’t discuss them in public. She uses the same fork at every meal, watches Wayne’s World while cleaning, and lets her dog sleep on her head.

M. Mabie has never been accused of being tight lipped or shy. She’s THAT girl.

(She doesn't usually speak in third-person, but surprisingly does when she's weirded-out about writing her bio.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment