Monday, December 8, 2014

Prisoner (Criminals and Captives #1) by Annika Martin and Skye Warren



He seethes with raw power the first time I see him—pure menace and rippling muscles in shackles. He’s dangerous. He’s wild. He’s the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen.

So I hide behind my prim glasses and my book like I always do, because I have secrets too. Then he shows up in the prison writing class I have to teach, and he blows me away with his honesty. He tells me secrets in his stories, and it’s getting harder to hide mine. I shiver when he gets too close, with only the cuffs and the bars and the guards holding him back. At night I can’t stop thinking about him in his cell.

But that’s the thing about an animal in a cage—you never know when he’ll bite. He might use you to escape. He might even pull you into a forest and hold a hand over your mouth so you can’t call for the cops. He might make you come so hard, you can’t think.

And you might crave him more than your next breath.




What a RIDE this book was. What an amazing powerful story! I just didn’t want it to end!!! I need more! Prisoner is one of those dark reads where the reader totally falls in love with the damaged, messed up, bad guy when in reality you should hate him and think the heroine deserves so much better. The authors did an absolute fantastic job creating a story. The writing was flawless and the storyline was original and unforgettable. 
Abby is a college student sent to a prison to teach writing a memoir to inmates. Her first visit she sees Grayson and instantly the chemistry is tangible. Grayson is in prison for killing a cop. He is bad ass and mean and damaged by his past. 
I want to spill my guts about everything that makes this book a top read for 2014 BUT then I would ruin the book for you and I refuse to do that. Just trust me when I say this book is in my top 10 for 2014. That you will not want to put this book down and you will be sucked into Grayson and Abby’s life. 
I recommend this to anyone who craves a dark read. For someone who loves a great story full of alpha males and kick ass women




This is my second go round with this book. The first time, I beta read; this time for review. It was a five star read the first time, and it still is. You know it's a good read when you can't put the book down to even sleep. This happened both times. 

This book... It's raw, rough,and dark. I am absolutely in love with it. Grayson is so...intense. He jumps off the page. Powerful. Raw. Damaged. So damaged that he has a skewed sense of sex, affection, and protection.  He is primal and I loved every second of him. He slowly evolves as a character, but not so much that he loses himself or sheds his past.
Abby is also damaged, but she is a hider, a survivor. She had a tough childhood, but she has learned how to adapt. She knows how to blend. She wants to be normal. She thinks she is living until Grayson comes in to her life. 

She is the light to Grayson's dark, his voice of reason, and eventually, his reason to be on earth. However, their relationship is anything but normal: from from a prisoner, student/teacher relationship to captor/hostage... 

My emotions were so raw during and after reading this book. It's just... Mind. Blown. 



Annika
I’m a NYT bestselling author living a stone’s throw away from the Mississippi with my awesome husband and two cats in a home full of plants, sunshine and books. I'm heavy into writing love stories about criminals--some of them are dirty and fun (my Kinky bank robbers!) others are dark and intense (Prisoner!) 

I also write gritty romantic suspense as the RITA-award winning author Carolyn Crane. That's also where I'm most active on Goodreads...come talk books!




Skye
Skye Warren is the New York Times and USA Today Bestselling author of dark romantic fiction. Her books are raw, sexual and perversely romantic.

No comments:

Post a Comment