Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Blog Tour & Review: Sustained by Emma Chase





Title: Sustained (The Legal Briefs, Book 2)
Author: Emma Chase










A knight in tarnished armor is still a knight.
When you’re a defense attorney in Washington, DC, you see firsthand how hard life can be, and that sometimes the only way to survive is to be harder. I, Jake Becker, have a reputation for being cold, callous, and intimidating—and that suits me just fine. In fact, it’s necessary when I’m breaking down a witness on the stand.
Complications don’t work for me—I’m a “need-to-know” type of man. If you’re my client, tell me the basic facts. If you’re my date, stick to what will turn you on. I’m not a therapist or Prince Charming—and I don’t pretend to be.
Then Chelsea McQuaid and her six orphaned nieces and nephews came along and complicated the ever-loving hell out of my life. Now I'm going to Mommy & Me classes, One Direction concerts, the emergency room, and arguing cases in the principal's office.
Chelsea’s too sweet, too innocent, and too gorgeous for her own good. She tries to be tough, but she’s not. She needs someone to help her, defend her…and the kids.
And that — that, I know how to do.




I have been absolutely giddy about the release of the second book in Emma Chase's Legal Briefs Series. I enjoyed the first novel, Overruled, and couldn't wait to get my hands on Sustained. This is Jake Becker's story, and while I have loved all of Chase's fictional men, Becker is officially my favorite.

If you haven't had the pleasure of reading a novel by Emma Chase -- shame on you! In all my years of reading I have discovered female authors often struggle trying to write the male point-of-view. Men are fickle creatures and hard it's hard to fully capture exactly what must be going on inside their complex minds. With that being said, no one writes the perspective of a man better than Emma Chase. She brings these heroes to life and does it with humor, sexuality, and a smidge of humility and tenderness. Each of her gentlemen are so unique from one another, no two characters are the same and nothing about their inner workings is repetitive (except maybe their sexual appetites). Jake Becker is sharp and driven. He exudes confidence in both the courtroom and bedroom, but stumbles through the idea of long-term commitment. 

I loved every part of Sustained from cover to cover. Chelsea McQuaid has been dealt a crummy life after an unexpected accident. She and her baggage are thrust into the forefront of Jake's life and he must navigate the obstacles and opportunities Chelsea's presence in his life presents him. The banter and playfulness of Chelsea and Jake's connection is something every woman will swoon over. I couldn't put Sustained down and fell deeper in love with Jake after every chapter. As with every Emma Chase novel, there is plenty of laughter, an abundance of sexual chemistry, and plot twists that will leave you reeling and hungry to find out what happens next.

I cannot recommend this novel enough for fans of Chase's previous work or to readers who haven't yet experienced this author's fantastic writing. This was by far my favorite book from Emma Chase. Sustained is the second in a series but can be read as a stand alone (if you don't mind finding out spoilers from Overruled while reading). 






I was SO excited for this book! Emma Chase always knocks it out of the park with her words and Sustained was no different. This book was everything I expected and more. It had the humor that Emma Chase is well known for, as well as the perfect amount of angst and emotion.

If you haven't read the first book in the series, you are seriously missing out. While technically Sustained is a stand alone, I highly recommend reading Overruled first. Otherwise you will find out spoilers from the first book and that is never fun.

Sustained in the story of Jake Becker and Chelsea McQuaid. Jake is a no nonsense defence attorney. He is sexy as sin with a mouth that is full of sass. You can't help but love this man, and the more you read in the book the more you fall in love with him. He may come across as a hard ass but he really is a sweetheart. Emma did another great job of writing a male perspective. Sometimes it's really hard to connect with a book that is told from mainly the male POV but that is not the case with Sustained, or any of Emma's books.

Chelsea McQuaid is a sweet, funny, and caring woman. She is thrust into a position that anyone would take but not the way she had to take it.  It's heartbreaking to hear her story. Even through all the heartbreak she is a strong woman who loves with all she has. I loved getting to know her throughout the book and she is easily one of my favorite female characters.

Even though the children are not main characters in this book, they definitely were a huge part. Each child has it's own distinct personality and at times it was quite hilarious reading what each one of them was up to. 

I highly recommend reading this series. It will not disappoint. Once you start the book you won't be able to put it down. I read Sustained in one sitting and enjoyed every single page of it. I can't wait for the next book in the series!










By day, Emma Chase is a devoted wife and mother of two who resides in a small, rural town in New Jersey. By night she is a keyboard crusader, toiling away the hours to bring her colorful characters and their endless antics to life. She has a long standing love/hate relationship with caffeine.


Emma is an avid reader. Before her children were born she was known to consume whole books in a single day. Writing has also always been a passion and with the 2013 release of her debut romantic comedy, Tangled, the ability to now call herself an author is nothing less than a dream come true. 


No comments:

Post a Comment