Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Nothing Left to Lose by Kirsty Moseley

Annabelle Spencer’s life is every girl’s dream. She has wonderful parents, great friends, and of course the perfect boyfriend, Jack Roberts. That all changes on her sixteenth birthday when her life comes crashing down around her. Her dream night turns into a nightmare when Jack is murdered right in front of her, and she’s kidnapped by his murderer, Carter Thomas, a big time drug and arms dealer.


After ten months of being with Carter, she’s found, but the experience has totally changed her. She’s no longer the happy-go-lucky girl that everyone used to know and love; she’s now cold, hard and suffers from night terrors. It appears that Carter broke not only her body, but her spirit too. A shadow of her former self, her slogan for life is now: ‘If you don’t care about anything, then you have nothing to lose’.


Carter is currently serving time for the murder of Jack, a conviction that Anna helped secure. But his retrial is coming up because some key evidence appears to have been tampered with. Unbeknown to Anna, death threats are being received by her father, the Senator. It appears that Carter is still interested in Anna and will stop at nothing to get her back.


Ashton Taylor is brought in to protect her. He’s a newly qualified SWAT agent, a bright spark, the agency’s new golden boy. He is assigned undercover, posing as her boyfriend. His job is to help her through college and keep her safe until the end of the trial in eight months’ time.


For three years she has been the broken, damaged girl, refusing to feel emotion or pain, but can Ashton help her rebuild her life and finally deal with the grief of losing her childhood sweetheart? Will he be the one to make her see that life is, in fact, worth living and that not all men will hurt her?


All the while, the shadow of the trial looms over the both of them, taunting them, reminding them that it isn’t over yet. After all, Carter Thomas will stop at nothing to be reunited with his ‘Princess’.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18525360-nothing-left-to-lose?from_search=true




I pushed him sideways playfully so I could step through the door into the inner
hallway first. He didn’t reply. He just grabbed my waist, lifting me off my feet and threw me easily over his shoulder as he carried on walking in the direction of the kitchen. I gasped as everything turned upside down. “Whoa, holy crap! Put me down, right now!” I shouted, but the order lost some of its authority when I started laughing.

“Nope, not until you apologize for calling me a player,” he refused playfully.

“Ashton, put me down!” I instructed, struggling to get off him.

“I didn’t hear you apologize.”

“Agent Taylor, you put me down right now. I know people, I could have you assassinated!” I joked.

He burst out laughing. “Right, and who do you know that could assassinate me?” he
asked, still chuckling.

“Dean.”

“Dean Michaels? That guy likes me more than he does you, and I’ve only met him
twice, it would be easier to get him to assassinate you!” he countered, laughing wickedly.

“Put me down! All the blood’s rushing to my head,” I whined, giving up on my
struggling because I could barely move an inch from the hold he had on me.
 

“Wow, you whine like a baby, Anna. Where’s the fighting spirit? You could have
wrapped your arms around my waist to give yourself more stability and kneed me in the face, you know. I thought you were big on the self-defence,” he teased. He tugged on my legs, making me slide down into his arms before he sat me on the kitchen counter. He was grinning from ear to ear.

“No way! I could barely move, I tried to get down,” I protested, righting my clothes and trying to catch my breath from the experience of it.

“You have much to learn, young grasshopper,” he said, patting me on the head like a
child.









Ashton Taylor has had a rough childhood.  After his parents died in a car accident when he was ten, he was moved from Foster Home to Foster Home.  Once he turned seventeen he went out on his own and signed up to be a SWAT officer, his goal was the front line.  Him and his best friend Nate pushed themselves through the training to be the best they could.  It worked, Ashton was #1 and Nate was #2 in their class.  Immediately on graduation day they were both handed assignments.  Nate was given one that he had been dreaming of, Ashton…. well he was handed the babysitting job of a current Senator/soon to be President of the United States. Now Ashton in my mind is Channing Tatum in White House Down.  I recently watched that movie and that’s all I can picture for him and I liked it!
 
Annabelle Spencer had the perfect life.  She could have everything she wanted and had the most wonderful boyfriend, Jack Roberts, whom she has known since she was five.  Jack treated her like a Queen, never looked at any other girl; it was Anna no matter what.  On Anna’s sixteenth birthday he told her she could have whatever she wanted.  Anna knew she wanted two things, 1. To go to a club and 2. To lose her virginity that night.  Jack was going to make it happen.  They ended up at a very popular club and everything was going fine until Carter Thomas came along.  Being sixteen Jack and Anna didn’t know Carter was America’s Most Wanted man.  He ran the largest arms and drug operation and couldn’t be pinned down to be arrested.  After Carter takes a liking to Anna it all goes down hill VERY fast.  This whole scene happens in Chapter One.  I will tell you right now I sometimes tear up in books, this one had me crying.  I immediately sent Stephanie a text saying, “WTH am I reading, I’m in chapter one and I’M CRYING!”.  Ughh makes me sad thinking about it.  Imagine loosing the love of your life and being kidnapped by a psycho all in the same night.  HORRIFIC! Bring it to the present and she is now nineteen and the last three years of her life have been HELL.  She is no longer the perfect daughter but a dark angry young woman.  With everything that has happened to her this is understandable.  Being she was able to lock up the most wanted person in America and add to it she is the next President’s daughter she must have guards on her at all time.  The only problem is she keeps scaring them away; no guard can stick around for long...  that is until Ashton is assigned to Anna as her new Near Guard.
 
The story is all about Ashton and Anna and how they grow together.  Ashton is very good for Anna in every way possible.  He helps her become whole again.  Jack will always be in her heart, Ashton is okay with that but he wants her to love him as well.  I loved seeing Anna come out of her shell and how Ashton protected her not only because it was his job but also because he started falling in love with her.  Reading her parents expression when they see how she acts with Ashton put the biggest smile on my face!  These two have a deep connection and you can’t help but root for them along the way.  The story is not an easy story at all.  You are going to get a lot of twist and turns through out the book.  There are some dark parts when Anna relives her past with what happened to Jack and to her while she was imprisoned with Carter.  Carter is also getting ready for a retrial so security has been tightened due to some letter sent to Anna from Carter and his men.  The only problem is Anna has no clue about these letters and doesn’t understand why even doing the littlest things seem to be an issue with Ashton.
 
For me when the secondary characters are just as good as the primary it’s perfect.  I LOVED Ashton’s best friend Nate.  He was funny, cocky and so sure of himself.  I saw at the end of this book that we will be getting Nate’s story at the beginning of next year! *Happy Dance*.  Anna’s best friend Rosie was another popular character and I’m very excited she will be in Nate’s book.  Dean, Anna’s Far Guard was amazing through the story.  He was very protective of her even though at the beginning she put him through hell.  I loved seeing her warm up to him and how he brushed their past differences aside and just cared for her.
 
All in all their story was beautiful.  I really don’t know how else to put it.  Even with the dark parts there was a wonderful love story behind it.  My only complaint on the book was its length.  It is a very LONG story.  It took me a few days to get through it and I did find myself wanting to skip along during some parts of it.  I didn’t of course because I wanted to make sure I captured every part of Ashton and Anna coming together.



AHHH!!! I was SO excited to get my hands on this book. I had read it a few years back when it was on Wattpad and I LOVED it then. I couldn't wait to do a re-read and see if I still felt the same way; if I still felt all the emotions it made me previously feel. It did and then some. I swooned, I laughed, I got that awful pit in my stomach and I cried. There were times that even though I knew what was going to happen it was like I was reading it again for the first time and I was on the edge of my seat. When Nothing Left to Lose was on Wattpad it had twenty five MILLION (yes you read that correctly, MILLION) reads. 

The first chapter of this book broke my heart. It shattered it into a million little pieces and I wasn't sure if it would heal by reading this book. Annabelle Spencer had it all; a great family, a bright future ahead of her and an amazing boyfriend. That all changed on her 16th birthday. The things that happened to her and her boyfriend Jack are unimaginable. Almost painful to read. Fast forward three years and she is a shell of the person she was before that horrific night. I completely understood where she was coming from, after what happened to her I can see why she acted like she did. She went through college's and bodyguards like she changed her underwear. She made it her goal to see how quickly she could get them to leave and she succeeded until Ashton Taylor was assigned to her. We get flashbacks throughout the book that gives us insight into everything that Anna went through while she was being held by Carter and they aren't pretty. Luckily, Kirsty brings us back to a happy place in between so it helps relieve the pain.

Ashton Taylor...oh Ashton. He is amazingly swoon worthy. Who needs rock stars, CEO's, or bikers when you can have a hot SWAT agent. When I say hot, I mean HOT. He is not book boyfriend material he is book husband material! Ashton had a really crappy childhood and was headed down the wrong path. He decided he needed to change his life and applied to the academy. He manages to graduate top of his class only to find out he has been assigned to guard a senator's daughter. I can understand why he was upset when he first found out. I mean come on, who wants to work their butt off to graduate top of the class only to find out they are going to be a glorified baby sitter.   

Nothing Left to Lose follows Annabelle and Ashton through her moving to a new college, adjusting to life, and then having everything change in the blink of an eye. I loved how Ashton made it his goal to make Annabelle happy. He was very understanding of her history and was so sweet to her. Their love story is beautiful but not without heartbreak. There is no insta-love in their love story. There are hills and mountains they have to climb over to get to where they are going. That made this book that much better. I cheered them on the entire way.  

We can't forget about the secondary characters in the book. Nate is Ashton's best friend and roommate. He is witty, hot and quite the smartass. I loved every moment that Nate was mentioned. I can't wait for everyone to read his book that is coming out next year. You will fall in love with him even more. Trust me! Nothing Left to Lose sets up Nate's book PERFECTLY. 

This is a MUST READ book. I will warn that it is a little long, longer than I remember from the first time I read it but I wouldn't want anything cut. Everything in this book is there for a reason and I loved every minute of it. Everyone needs to meet Ashton so they can swoon just like it. I am telling you BOOK HUSBAND!! 





What are you currently working on?

At the moment I'm working on a couple of things... One of which is completely new, another new adult romance (of course). It's called Poles Apart and is still very much a work in progress. It's about 80% complete at the moment.
The other thing I'm working on, or about to start working on, is a sequel... yes, I'm actually writing a sequel... to another of my Wattpad stories called Fighting To Be Free. I'm struggling to fit writing in at the moment around editing, promoting and general family life, but those are essentially my two next projects for 2014.


You are known for not writing sequels, why is that?

I like to finish a story and leave a reader satisfied. Yes, they can still want a little more, but I like to have my ending clear but still leave a little to the imagination. I dislike it when a storyline or character is dragged out over two or three books when there is no need for it/them to be. Sometimes, as they say, less is more.
Having said that, the ONLY sequel I currently have planned is the one I mentioned above - the sequel for Fighting To Be Free. That's a direct follow-on, with same characters but different events and storyline. Their story ended a little differently to my others, so a sequel is essential.
Although I don't really like writing sequels, I'm not opposed to a companion novel. Picking a character from the story and giving them their own, or maybe a follow-on with a child. But I prefer to write it so that both stories stand alone. I guess stand alones are my thing - who knows, maybe I had a traumatic event in my childhood where I got to the end of a "book 1" not realising it was part of a series and was left mortified and scarred for life when the book didn't end... I'm not sure that ever happened, but it would explain my need to finish a story in one book!


 

What made you decide to publish Nothing Left to Lose?

Nothing Left To Lose has always been my baby in a way. Writing it was an emotional roller coaster for me, and I loved (an hated every second of it). I would stay up and have merely three hours sleep so I could finish writing the chapter, only to start another straight after. It took up a huge portion of my life writing it. I posted the chapters one by one on Wattpad and was overwhelmed by the support that the story gained on there. Once I decided to publish a story, I figured I'd 'test the waters', so to speak, with a different story. After the success of The Boy Who Sneaks in My Bedroom Window, I then set to work on editing Nothing Left To Lose. It was always the dream of mine to have that story "out there" and now it is!

What was your first thought when NLTL hit 1 million reads?

Nothing Left To Lose had some die hard fans on Wattpad, it really did, and the comments and reads that I gained on there spurred me on to help push me to where I am today. Without the support of the lovely readers at Wattpad, I wouldn't have published at all and my stories would just be gaining dust on my USB card at the back of my drawer! It's still a little unbelievable to me thinking that Nothing Left To Lose actually gained over 25 million reads online before I decided to publish it. Crazy stuff. I don't think I'll ever fully accept it - even though I took a snapshot as a keepsake!


http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/nothing-left-to-lose-kirsty-moseley/1116875023?ean=2940044619203

http://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/ebook/nothing-left-to-lose-1
 https://itunes.apple.com/book/nothing-left-to-lose/id669305408?mt=11



Kirsty Moseley has always been a passionate reader since she was a little girl, devouring books overnight, barely sleeping and paying for it at school the next day. Writing has come similarly to her and once she discovered Wattpad, she finally plucked up the courage to post one of her stories. Seven million reads later, she self-published her debut novel THE BOY WHO SNEAKS IN MY BEDROOM WINDOW, which later became one of 10 Finalists for the 2012 Goodreads' Choice Awards, Best YA Fiction. Shocked and overwhelmed by the response, she later published her second and third novels, Always You and Free Falling.


If she had to sum herself up in one word, it would probably be 'daydreamer' - but unlike most of her school teachers, she doesn't necessarily view that as a bad thing. After all, she read somewhere once that books are like waking dreams....


She lives in Norfolk, England with her husband and son.

Visit her website at http://www.kirstymoseley.com/ or on her Facebook page for more!









No comments:

Post a Comment