Saturday, October 19, 2013

Mean Girls LUV Beat of the Heart by Katie Ashley




  

After years of bad relationships and a cheating ex-fiancé, twenty-eight-year-old Mia Martinelli prefers healing her patients’ hearts on the Cardiac Care floor rather than risking having her heart broken again. But that all comes to a screeching halt when caring for the head roadie for Runaway Train puts her into the orbit of drummer and Latin Lover, AJ Resendiz. After a scorching weekend of steamy passion, Mia’s intention of getting out with her heart unscathed is challenged by the stud with the wicked sense of humor, especially when he wants to continue seeing her. But when the harsh reality of AJ’s hoard of female admirers sends her insecurities into overdrive, Mia bails, leaving him handcuffed to his bathroom shower.  

AJ never imagined that after two weeks of the best sex and female companionship he’d ever experienced, he would need rescued by his band mates from his shower prison. Although he tries to forget the sensual brunette whose curves made his mouth water, AJ can’t get her out of his mind…or his heart. Months later when he finally seeks Mia for answers as to why she left, nothing could prepare him for their life-altering reunion.  

Can AJ prove to Mia that regardless of the women after his body, his heart belongs only to her?

 

 
AJ and Mia’s first date:
"Tell me about yourself." 
Swirling the wine around in her glass, Mia shrugged. “Not much to tell.”

I arched my brows at her. “Yeah, right. Don’t make me start in with some lame-ass get to know you questions.”
She grinned. “And what would those be?”
Even though I knew it would probably irk a woman like Mia—one who was refined and cared about class and style, I leaned in on the table with my elbows. “What do you like do when you’re not mending hearts?” I asked, my tone serious like an interviewer.
“Hmm,” she murmured, closing her eyes to think. After a few seconds, she popped them open and replied, “I like Pina Coladas and walks in the rain.”
It was my turn to tsk at her. “Not getting off that easy, Miss Martinelli.”
“Fine then. What I enjoy doing is probably a huge bore to you, but you asked for it.”
“Yep, hit me with it.”
“I like the usual stuff like books, movies, and TV. I like traveling. And…” A little flush filled her cheeks.
“And what?”
After a hearty gulp of wine, she replied in a low voice, “I like to knit.”
I couldn’t help laughing. “You’re shitting me.”
She narrowed her black eyes. “No, I’m not. My late grandmother taught me how to knit and crotchet.”
At her still seething anger and embarrassment, I held up my hands. “I’m sorry I found it so shocking that a smoking hot woman like yourself did something so old-school and nerdy as knit.”

She shrugged. “You asked, so I was honest.”
“You’re right, I did.” Grabbing another breadstick out of the basket, I grinned at her.  “You think you would ever make me something?”

“Hmm, like a dick cozy for those cold nights when no woman wants to put up with your bullshit?” she asked with fake sweetness.

Choking on the breadstick, I fumbled for my wine before taking a long swig. When I recovered, I couldn’t help laughing at her fiery response. “I would be honored if you would make me a dick cozy. I would wear it with pride and think fondly of you.”
“Oh you would, would you?” she asked, her lips curving upward.
“Yes, I would.” With a wink, I added, “But be sure to make it extra-large because I want it to fit.”
Mia snickered. “I’ll keep that in mind.”
  

   
5 Stars!
'It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves.'
***Happy Dance***
*Fist pump*
WooHoo!!!
We got AJ's story- HELL TO THE YEAH!!!

Don't judge me people- I excite easily.

AJ Resendiz is the HOT Latin drummer of the band Runaway Train.
I loved him in Music of the Heart, love him even more in Beat of the Heart.

When Frank, Runaway Train's head roadie and father figure, has a heart attack after a concert he is rushed to the hospital and after he is well enough to travel the band arranges to have him flown back home to Atlanta. When the band gets their break in between shows, they all return home and visit and check on Frank.

AJ is knocked for a loop when he lays eyes on the sexy Italian charge nurse, Mia Martinelli, who has been taking care of Frank since his arrival. Not only is AJ attracted to her looks but she throws him sass and attitude that makes him want her even more.

After a mishap involving a cold drink and an impromptu lap pat down, Mia walks out of the room with a snarky comment that leaves AJ wanting her even more.   

"How terribly embarrassing and inconvenient it must be for you to have a sensitivity problem down there. I mean chicks expect a night of passion with Mr. Latin Lover, and they get mere seconds." She makes a tsking sound in her in her throat. "Pity."
When the door closed behind her, Rhys and Frank howled with laughter. "Holy shit, dude! I can't believe what she just said to you!" Rhys exclaimed, wiping the tears from his eyes.
I stared momentarily at the closed door before a smile spread across my cheeks. "Now, that gentleman, is the future Mrs. Resendiz, right there."

Yes! Yes! Yes!
I love a sassy female. I love when they give it right back to the male and then some. You know it only makes the sex scenes even hotter and with the sass Mia is throwing at AJ I knew it was going to be H-O-T!!!

Here's the deal with Mia though- she is very insecure about herself.
She isn't a stick figure with fake tits and bleach blonde girl.
No she has real tits, a real ass, real curves, and real hips.
She's REAL- something that AJ wants since he's surrounded by all the fake that the music industry has to offer.
It also doesn't help that Mia has had two horrible relationships in the past and is still grieving over the death of her grandmother, Mama Sofia.
BUT I still loved Mia. I loved that she was open with certain things especially early on, yes her insecurities at times where a bit annoying but I 100% felt where she was coming from.

After some convincing from AJ (and some gift shop flowers) and a little push from her best friend Dee (think Lafayette from True Blood- LOVE IT) Mia decides to take AJ up on his offer of a date and some 'back in the saddle sex'. The date starts with some sexy dancing and oh yeah- it was HOT and some FUN in the limo on the way to the restaurant...and after.
Sizzling, melt my Kindle hot!

"Would you suck my dick?"
With a tsk, I replied, "You didn't say the magic word."
A growl rumbled through my chest. "Please. For all that is holy, please, please suck my dick!
Yes AJ, yes she will!
When Mia lets her past and insecurities get in the way it drives me cRaZy but when she lets it all go and is just there with AJ it's an awesome thing to see.


When AJ's past comes barreling into his present and affects Mia she lays it all out and leaves AJ handcuffed to the shower with a broken heart.

"Mia, I...I love you. Please don't do this."
"Yeah, well, sometimes love just isn't enough."
When the two lovers finally see each other again will it be too late?
Will AJ be able to forgive Mia for turning her back on him or will her insecurities once again ruin the future that fate has laid out for them?


  *******************************************
I'm a huge Katie Ashley fan. Her Proposition series is one of my favorites. I really liked Music of the Heart, book one of the Runaway Train series, but to me, personally, I loved this one better. I love AJ and really, really liked Mia. I'm looking forward to Rhys stories and am HOPING we saw his future woman in this one because the possibilities of conflict and drama with that pairing will be AMAZING.
I also really want a prequel. I NEED a Brayden and Lily story- NEED, NEED, NEED it!
Side note- I loved that Pesh popped in and we got a little peek at his feelings for Megan- that made be HAPPY!!! 
 


4 heartbeats!
Oh AJ. AJ, AJ, AJ! This book had me at AJ! He is just down right dream, sexy and delish! AJ is hands down amazing! A.MAZING!
AJ meets Mia at the hospital where he is visiting a key member of the Runaway Train crew. She spills something in his lap and that is where the chemistry begins.
“I detected she possessed every attribute that gave me instant wood- wide, curvy hips, thick thighs, a voluptuous ass, and a full, natural rack.”
Mia has a strong Sicilian personality but she has issues. She lost someone in her life that had a huge impact and then had some really awful boyfriends. Her past pains gave her huge insecurities and AJ has to deal with them.  There were times with Mia that I wanted to just smack her because of my total crush on AJ. She really overreacted a lot and wouldn’t listen to the truth  and it became annoying and I started to not like her. AJ has a heart of gold and the patience of a saint to handle her.
“’I don’t want you to ever change who you are or what you like for me.’ At her skeptical expression, I added, ‘I like you just the way you are- physically and personality wise’”
Mia has a great a gay best friend, Dee. He has the best personality and is a total rock for Mia but he didn’t let her get away with shit. I love this piece of advice Dee gives Mia:
“We all have our pasts and baggage, Mimi. It’s our decision whether they fuck with our future.”
I was happy to see Abby and Jake and the other members of the band in this story. Katie Ashley also weaved in Pesh from The Proposal as Mia’s mentor at the hospital. 
AJ made this book for me but I didn’t really connect with Mia throughout the whole book.



4 Stars!

The much-anticipated follow up to Katie Ashley’s Runaway Train Series is here! Beat of the Heart follows AJ Resendiz, the drummer of Runaway Train, and his attempt at finding a happily ever after. This novel has it all – drama, heartbreak, romance and plenty of passion!

Music of the Heart is hands down one of my all time favorite Katie Ashley books. I fell hard for Jake and Abby, so I had high expectations set for Beat of the Heart. As much as it may shock some readers, AJ completely stole the show. Sorry Jake.
AJ is one hell of a book boyfriend. I was surprised to find AJ didn’t have many skeletons in his closet. He is a genuine guy and it’s not hard to fall in love with him while reading. He’s a tiger in the bedroom and he speaks a foreign language. He is one hot tamale!

Mia is a strong willed, sassy gal who speaks her mind and isn’t timid. However beneath her tough exterior, she has her insecurities and self-doubt. Most of the drama came from her past (A girl with ex-boyfriend baggage? Hello real life.) I loved her character because she was realistic and someone readers can relate to. Her past has shaped her attitude towards men and relationships, and I think a lot of women can see a part of themselves in Mia. She’s definitely a character you will either love or want to slap. I personally adored her.

Overall I loved the story. I would have liked to see more scenes with the members of Runaway Train. However, it made sense for the band to not have as big of a role in this story as they did in the first novel. Abby and Jake are both a part of the music scene, and Mia wasn’t. Also, the band wasn’t touring for the most part so the boys all had down time to live their lives away from the road.
Katie Ashley has delivered another solid favorite with Beat of the Heart. I swooned over AJ, girl crushed on Mia, and am giddy with excitement to get the next installment of the Runaway Train Series on my e-reader!



4 stars! 
This was a great, STEAMY read! Mia and A.J.'s story is hot as can be with some angst thrown in to piss you off and keep you interested.

I have to say that Mia was not my favorite character. She drove me crazy. I wanted to throat punch her a few times for not seeing what was right in front of her. She had a bit of a smart mouth which I loved, and she was definitely ballsy but she was so insecure. I wanted to tell her to quit doubting everyone, but her past would not let her. Well that-and the fact I have a hard time getting these characters in books to listen to me. ;)

AJ Resendiz is the epitome of the Latin lover you would think he would be. He is strong willed and a badass on the outside but has such a big, kind heart. And in the bedroom-damn! Definitely hot sex in this book right from the start and AJ is the reason.

This is a good story and I do love the way it ended, but Mia made some decisions that made me want to scream! She was too quick to judge. And there were a few times I found myself skimming just to find out what was going to happen next.
I would definitely recommend it and am looking forward to more from Runaway Train.



4 Stars!
Beat of the Heart is book 2 in the Runaway Train Series. In my opinion you must read Music of the Heart before you jump into this one.

BotH is AJ’s book. AJ is the sexy Latino drummer for Runaway Train. In MotH I loved AJ and couldn’t wait for his story, so I was very happy to give this one a shot. His love interest is Mia. Mia is a spit fire Sicilian nurse. I love her feistiness and that she stands up for herself. There were times she frustrated me to no end but AJ did that to me as well. Mia’s best friend Dee was awesome. He had all the right things to say.

The book starts off with a BAM; Frank, Runaway Train’s head roadie has a heart attack right after a concert. This was a hard hit on the boys since Frank was like a father to them all. Frank is rushed to the hospital where he is then flown to Atlanta for surgery. The hospital is where AJ & Mia meet. Their first meeting was quite hilarious to say the least…. AJ got a nice rub down! After that AJ knew that Mia was going to be his wife…. some day.

During this story we see Mia struggle with the relationship with AJ because of her past. She has had 2 very bad relationships that have put walls around her heart. Even with all the baggage these two had some HOT & STEAMY scenes… throughout the WHOLE book. The first Limo scene had me saying HOLY SHIT! Now I am not against a ton of sex in books but this one seemed to be a little on the heavy side with it. I would’ve liked to have a little more story added. The ending of the story was probably my favorite part of the book. I loved how Katie wrapped the story up and brought us back to the limo. I had the biggest cheesy smile on my face during that scene. I also loved that it was written in both POVs.

Jake, Abby, Rhys, Lily and Brayden are all back in BotH. Jake so far has been my number one so I was very happy when the group took a visit to his Ranch. I’m hoping Rhys book is next because I’m pretty sure he might be giving Jake a run for his money! I also want Brayden & Lily’s story…. I absolutely love them!

4 Stars!!
I have been not so patiently waiting for Beat of the Heart. I fell in love with AJ in Music of the Heart and from the day Katie announced AJ's book would be next I counted down the days. This book did not disappoint and now I love AJ even more. If you haven't read Music of the Heart yet stop what you are doing and go 1-Click it! It is a MUST read! Everyone we met and fell and in love with in Music of the Heart is back in Beat of the Heart. I love that about this book, while we got to know AJ better we still got a glimpse into what everyone else was up to. 

 
AJ was everything I knew he was going to be and more. Sweet, caring, witty, and lets not forget HOT! AJ has a way of making you swoon and wishing you were in the book with him.Did I mention he is smokin' hot?!

We start off learning of Frank, the longtime roadie, having a heart-attack. He is insistent on having the required surgery back in Atlanta. AJ and Rhys are visiting Frank when the lead charge nurse, Mia, walks into the room. Mia is full on sassy and I love that about her.  She has a comeback for everything AJ says and has no problem putting him in his place.

Mia Martinelli is a a fiery Sicilian who is your average girl with curves. I loved that about her. She isn't the typical stick figure lead female we see so much of these days. Even though she is strong willed, she has a painful past. While I understood some of her actions that were caused by her past, at times she drove me insane. I wanted to reach through my kindle and smack some sense into her.

Now on to the important part..the SEX! This book is full of hot, steamy sex! If you thought AJ was hot in Music of the Heart just wait until you get to the juicy parts of this book. Good thing for you, you won't have to wait long. The limo scene was oh so yummy.

There was an OMG moment in this book where I just shook my head and thought "oh no, not again" but I understand why it happened the way it did after I finished the book. It was the perfect set up for a sweet, loving, tears of joy moment. This book had plenty of ups and downs and some angst, but it was the perfect mixture of angst and happy moments. 

The ending was my absolute favorite part of this book. Not because the book was ending but because of what happened in the end. Katie Ashley ended this book with pure perfection. I read the last line of this book with a smile on my face and loved how it turned out. 

Now to start my countdown for Rhys' book!!


 3.75 Stars

Okay, so I mostly loved this book, but at times, I was so frustrated with Mia. I get that she has some past issues causing her distrust of men. But geez…several times I thought, enough already! I mean, there is being broken and stubborn, but then there is being annoyingly irrational. Her waffling about her relationship with AJ is totally understandable given her past. I totally got it, but then as the story builds to a specific point, I thought, this chick is CRAZY! I just couldn’t understand why AJ would want to put up with someone like her or why everyone was accusing him of messing up. In my opinion, he totally did not mess up. Mia is just a hot mess!
I think AJ is wonderful. I enjoyed him in Music of the Heart, and I loved him even more in this book. He has the biggest heart and is so patient. However, thank goodness he has his limits and knows how to put his foot down. He also isn’t afraid to fight for what he wants. He is so fun and full of life, and knows how to live in the moment and just enjoy it. Through him, Mia learns how to let go a bit and do the same. He made this story for me.

I was really excited to be able to read more about the whole crew. It felt like catching up with old friends. Katie Ashley created wonderful characters in the 1st book and they continued into this one. It was great to see more of Jake and Abby, who I just adore. Honestly, there isn’t one of them who I don’t love. Each character brings something special to the story.
Now, I know that I’ve complained about Mia, but please don’t get the wrong impression. She does have some redeeming qualities. She really is a good person and I liked her until she went a bit looney. However, once she was made to be rational again, I also began liking her again. There were really only a few chapters where I wanted to smack her…HARD.

All in all, this is a great book. Obviously I was feeling emotion. There were a few times that I even got teary eyed. The story itself was enjoyable. I was pulled into the story from the get go. I am already ready to read Rhys’ story. I just can’t get enough of these characters and am excited to see where the author takes them next.

Katie Ashley is the New York Times, USA Today, and Amazon Best-Selling author of The Proposition. She lives outside of Atlanta, Georgia with her two very spoiled dogs and one outnumbered cat. She has a slight obsession with Pinterest, The Golden Girls, Harry Potter, Shakespeare, Supernatural, Designing Women, and Scooby-Doo.

She spent 11 1/2 years educating the Youth of America aka teaching MS and HS English until she left to write full time in December 2012.

She also writes Young Adult fiction under the name Krista Ashe.





 




Book 1 Runaway Train
Music of the Heart


3 comments:

  1. thank you so much for this wonderful stop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AJ stole my heart, his Hot Latino personality had my body in tremors!
    Great reviews ladies. Katie Ashley you rock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kindle all powered up and ready to read!! Can't wait to get some hot Latin loving from AJ!! ;)

    ReplyDelete