Sunday, December 8, 2013

Catch Me



In the past, I've always been given everything I've wanted, but nothing that I truly needed. I've experienced a lot of things in my twenty-five years, everything except the one thing I want. It's the one thing that can’t be bought. It can't even be taken, it has to be given. And nobody has ever given it to me, not really anyway. 

Not until him.

Music is the center of both our lives, but as he found his place in it, I lost my way. He soared, while I spiraled down a destructive path.
I lost myself in more ways than I can count.

The ironic thing is that I didn’t realize how lost I was until he found me. 

And now that he has, I have to wonder if he'll stay around long enough to catch me.




“I realize as I look at him that I really do drown in him.  I really have given him everything I have left of myself.”  -Brooklyn

4 ½ Fantastic Mean Girl Hearts!!! I absolutely loved this book.  I loved this story and all the people in it.  I have read Claire’s Darkness Series and loved it, but this was a very different kind of book than those. While there is not the added suspense to the romance, this one seemed more personal to me.  This is Brooklyn’s story.  She is not the typical heroine, and I loved that about her.  This story is sweet, funny, HOT, and real. It’s not always pretty, but it is an incredible journey.

We meet Brooklyn after she has grown up a bit from a tumultuous time in her past.  She has a past, not a horrible, traumatic, abusive past like so many heroines have, but one that has definitely shaped who she is when we meet her.  Her past is not rainbows and sunshine, but she wasn’t the victim/damsel-in-distress.  Yes, she needs to be saved but more from herself than anyone else.  I loved this girl.  I loved that she had such heart. I loved that she made mistakes, and eventually learned from them.  I loved that she was a woman in the music industry.    I loved that her family was not perfect but still loved her in their own ways and that she loved them even when they were not the ideal parents.  I loved that I could feel everything she felt.  I loved that her emotions were raw, and that I could identify with them even if I am not sure I have ever felt all of them. 

Brooklyn meets Nick, and he makes her feel things she has never felt before.  He finds her and sees her in a way most people do not.  Nick is exactly who Brooklyn needs even if she did not think she needed anyone.  Nick is amazing.  He loves music. He is everything any girl would want, and nothing like anyone Brooklyn has ever wanted.  She has stayed away from guys like him, but there is so much more to him than his ridiculous good looks.  He is sweet and so caring and a completely good guy, but he still manages to feel like a bad boy for those of us that love that sort of thing. ;)

I also fell in love with the supporting characters in this book.  They are not just fillers in this story.  They are real people who have such amazing personalities that I want to get to know them all so much more than we did in this story.  We get to meet Shea, a big part Brooklyn’s past and her, now, best friend.  They have a bond that most people would love to have.  Shea is the rocker, bad boy that we all love, but he has a heart of gold and he, too, just needs to be found and rescued from himself. (side note-I freaking love the name Shea.)  One of my favorite characters in this book is Nina, Brooklyn’s cousin and amazing friend.  Nina is a bit of a hot mess, but in a very loveable way.  She is not over the top like some book BFF’s are, but she is who she is, and I love who she is.  One of my favorite quotes, EVER, comes from Nina-

“Women want three things.  Three simple things: Keep your dick in your pants.  Be honest with us. Worship us.  That’s it.  That’s all.  You motherfuckers can’t do all three without getting your brain mixed up.” 

I also love Hendrix, Brooklyn’s brother. He is an amazing big brother, and I would love to hear his story.

This book is a beautiful and painful story of change.  Brooklyn grows and changes so much from her past, and Nick-he is there to catch her.  He is there to teach her to just be her and be amazing.  I loved this story.  I just can’t say it enough.  It surprised me in so many parts. Just when I thought I had it figured out Claire threw me for a loop.  I loved hearing Brooklyn’s thoughts on everything.  I love how honest it was about the not so pretty parts of life that people don’t like to talk about.  The only reason this story is not  5 stars is the first part was just a little bit slow for me, but I am so glad to have gotten the chance to read and review this story.  This story was nothing like the Darkness series, and I love that Claire was able to write something so different and make me love it just as much. I loved Brooklyn’s story, and I am hoping Claire will let us get to know the rest of these incredible characters!








Claire Contreras graduated with her BA in Psychology from Florida International University. She lives in Miami, Florida with her husband, two little boys, and three dogs. 

Her favorite past times are: daydreaming, writing, and reading. 

She has been described as a random, sarcastic, crazy girl with no filter. 

Life is short, and it’s more bitter than sweet, so she tries to smile as often as her face allows. She enjoys stories with happy endings, because life is full of way too many unhappy ones or ones that will scare the daylights out of her and have her looking over her shoulder at every turn. Like I said, she's very random.

Follow her on Twitter:  @ClariCon




No comments:

Post a Comment