Friday, December 6, 2013

The Power to See Review





At first glance, twenty-two-year-old Brianna’s life seems perfect. But she harbors a deadly secret—her father is the leader of a ruthless drug cartel. Brianna struggles to find her place in a world her father meticulously controls, and believes she is nothing but a pawn in her father’s deadly games.

After graduating from college with an enormous debt, Dominic finds himself lured by money and power into a job that appears too good to be true. He doesn’t realize he works for a drug cartel until he’s in too deep. Trying to keep his family safe, he takes a deal offered by Brianna’s father and agrees to marry Brianna while continuing to work for the cartel.

Brianna and Dominic must rely on one another as their lives become further entwined in the lethal drug world. When Dominic discovers a deadly secret, he begins to question everything and turns to Brianna for support. However, Brianna’s heart belongs to another man—an undercover DEA agent.

The DEA closes in on the drug cartel, forcing Brianna and Dominic to choose sides, igniting a battle between family loyalty, love, and survival. Brianna soon realizes that she may be the only person capable of bringing down her father’s empire—if she can find a way to outsmart the master manipulator, without losing herself, and her heart, in the process.






Ohhh this book was GOOD! Let me jump in and tell you all about it. There are a lot of key characters in this story so Jennifer Anne Davis did us all a favor and gave a list of who the players are. I will give you a brief rundown… Brianna’s father Salazar is the fiercest of drug lords reigning over a huge and terrible cartel. I can’t forget about Matt Fueller the DEA agent sent to take down Salazar.

Brianna is an amazing heroine. She has lived a horrific life under her abusive, powerful, drug cartel running father’s thumb. He says he does things to protect her but Salazar has people killed if he doesn’t like her relationship with that person.
“Brianna wished her lunatic father would just kill her instead of playing these games. But that’s why he didn’t; he enjoyed tormenting her and watching her agony. Death would be too easy.” Even feeling this way, she got out of bed everyday and tried to live a life the best she could..


Dominic is a confused man. He just graduated from college and was about to propose to his girlfriend when she dumps him.  He battles with what is morally right and how to move on from his heartache. Since Brianna is Salazar’s only child, he sets up Dominic to marry Brianna and take over the business once he decides to retire. But Dominic was raised knowing killing people even bad people is not right. We watch him transform into this drug cartel almost leader throughout the book but deep down you still see he is the kind and loving man we saw in to the beginning. There were times I wanted to slap and a minute later give him a great big hug.

That brings us to Matt. Matt was very dreamy if you take away some of the lies he has to tell since he is a DEA agent forced (at first) to get close to Brianna. These two’s connection was off the charts. Matt was so good for Brianna. He really cared about her and wants her away from her evil father.

Salazar, Brianna’s father is a despicable man. I only have one thing to saw about Salazar, I hope he rots in hell.

I loved this book. It really took me on an adventure of right and wrong, love and hate and always kept me guessing on what the characters were going to finally decide to do with the direction of their lives. There were all sorts of twists and secrets that came out and really kept me enthralled.

This is one of my favorite quotes from the book, “’Listen to me. Do you know what love really is? All your life you’ve been faced with lies and deceit. People saying they love you, people claiming to have your best interest at heart. Do any of these people even know you? The real you? He pointed at her heart. ‘I know you’”

Ms Davis ended the story incredibly smart. There is no cliffhanger but she did leave it open ended. I was very satisfied with the ending but I have already messaged her begging for more. I really feel in love with the threesome and need more of them. I have added Jennifer Anne Davis to most follow author list. Her writing was spectacular!  




A lot of people tell me that my book feels like a mini movie. Well, it seems only fitting to discuss who the heck I’d cast to play the main characters!!!!
First up, Brianna Salazar. Beautiful, 22 years old, dark hair and blue eyes. A perfect fit for me is Victoria Justice. She is exactly what I picture Brianna to look like! There is a timeless beauty and grace to her that is simply captivating. (Just pretend her eyes are blue.)
Up next, Dominic Bennett. What can I say about Dominic? He just graduated from college, he has dark curly hair, and he’s handsome. From the moment this character was conceived in my mind, I pictured James Franco. So I am thrilled to share a picture of him!
And then there’s dreamy Matt. He’s a bit older at 28. He has dark blonde hair, tan skin, and has a surfer look to him. When I came across this picture of Paul Walker, I thought he was perfect for Matt. Doesn’t he look like an undercover DEA agent here?
And last, but certainly not least, the infamous Antonio Salazar. He’s Brianna’s domineering father and the leader of the Ramon Salazar Cartel. Again, from the moment this story breathed life in my head, Kevin Spacey was Salazar for me. It just looks like there is so much going in this man’s head—a controlled madness if you will. He is PERFECT!!!
So if I ever win the lottery and have an insane amount of money, then I’d turn The Power to See into a movie and cast these actors as the lead roles. Hey, a girl can dream can’t she? 



I graduated with Department Honors from the University of San Diego with a degree in English. While working to earn my teaching credential, I was a legal assistant for an attorney.That’s about the time I finally married my high school sweetheart. Once I received my credential from USD, I taught high school English until I had my first child.
Currently I am a stay-at-home mom. I have three kids, one large dog, a gecko, and a frog.
A couple of years ago, I entered a writing contest about motherhood and won. My essay “Caution: Warning Lable Not Included!” was published in the anthology Manual for Motherhood, reaching number one in the Parenting section of Amazon! This sparked my need to write on a daily basis, and I have been writing ever since!
My debut young adult novel The Voice was published by Lands Atlantic in January 2013. The Voice is nominated for three Novel Grounds Literary Awards: Best Indie, Favorite Five Star, and Best Book Boyfriend!
My second book,The Power to See, is a new adult novel and will be available in October 2013.
My third book,The Key, is a young adult light fantasy novel, and will be available November 16, 2013.
I’ve always had a passion for reading and writing. Being transported into another world and experiencing things beyond my imagination – what could be better? Besides being an outlet and a love, I hope to write books that encourage all to read.




No comments:

Post a Comment