Saturday, February 8, 2014

Strike by Holly Roberts


Title: Strike (The Completion Series)
Author: Holly S. Roberts
Release Date: January 22, 2014



Strike is the second book in the Completion Series. There is no connection to Play (book I) except the sports theme. Strike is a standalone HEA novel.

Nineteen-year-old Jaycee Shumway breaks into professional baseball player, Reed Tyler’s home, to steal the second most valuable set of balls he owns. Neither of them expect their striking attraction or battle of wills to lead them to a homerun.

Jaycee has more than herself to worry about. When Reed discovers she has a younger brother and sister, he’s quickly caught up in their world of need and heartbreak. Baseball season begins and the separation puts Reed and Jaycee’s game on hold. With bases loaded and hearts on the line, will Reed convince Jaycee that she needs him to win or will Jaycee strike out and walk off the field forever?

This New Adult book is intended for mature audiences.


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/19398787-strike?from_search=true


His husky laughter rang out, drowning me in the sexy sound. Why couldn’t he snort like a pig or something
just as ridiculous when he laughed?

“You’re very concerned about my balls,” he said when his laughter died away.

My smartass mouth took front and center. “If you remember… I’ve seen your balls and it would be unsporting of me not to be concerned.”

Oh, God, his eyes sparkled and I would do anything to take back my words and the thoughts they conjured. Reed wouldn’t let it pass. “I’ve seen a fair amount of you and that also causes me concern. So much concern that I didn’t sleep well last night.”

Mortification anyone?

“A gentleman wouldn’t bring that up.”

This time, his laugh was plain evil. “A gentleman wouldn’t have cut away your shirt and bra. A gentleman
wouldn’t have admired your tits. A gentleman wouldn’t do this…”

I had no time to prepare for what happened next. His warm lips took mine at the same time his hands closed around my upper arms, trapping me. My entire body reacted to the kiss. I grew light-headed, my breasts ached, and my heart almost exploded out of my chest. But it was the taste of his mouth that had me squeezing
my thighs together. I never knew anyone could taste this good. There was no description on earth that did it justice. I wanted to eat him whole.

*Jaycee*
*Reed*


Holly Roberts has done it again!! She scored a touchdown with Play and she hit a home run with Strike. Strike was everything I hoped for and more. I love Holly's style of writing. She gives you everything needed for a perfect book; sexy characters, some angst but not enough to drive you crazy, a sweet story, quick read, and most importantly HOT SEX! 

We first meet Jaycee Shumway breaking into Reed Tyler's house trying to steal his balls. No, not those balls. His prized baseballs. Jaycee has been dealt a crap life. She is raising her brother and sister the best she can because their mother died. She works and goes to school all while raising Jon and Bitsy. I really liked Jaycee. She was a no nonsense girl and did whatever was necessary for her siblings.

When we first meet Reed he comes across as an arrogant asshole. Mr. Big Bad Baseball player. Oh Reed, you are so much more than that and I love every ounce of you. Reed is sex on a stick and sweet as pie. He has a whole other side to him that you get to enjoy and enjoy I did. I loved learning everything about him and realizing that you can't "judge a book by a cover". He is so much more than his exterior. 

Jaycee wants nothing to do with Reed, Reed wants everything to do with Jaycee. I loved Reed's tactics at getting what he wanted. He doesn't take no for answer and will stop at nothing to get what he wants. I can see why Jaycee was hesitant but on the flip side, Reed is HOT, and sweet, and HOT. I would have jumped at the chance. 

I know going into a book written by Holly that there is going to be one scene that will stay will with me. She did it in Play and I couldn't wait to see what it was for Strike. Let's just say that I will never look at a dining room chair the same again. 
 
Strike is a story of two people from two VERY different worlds. It shows how even though you come from two separate sides of one town you can still become one. 

I highly recommend buying this book, it was a great read and I can't wait until Kick comes out. So much so that as soon as I finished Strike I immediately sent Holly a message asking for Kick. I am counting down the days until I get it in my hands. 


This is the second book I’ve read from Holly Roberts and I have to say I love her work. Her books are quick, fun to read, and hot! Strike is a baseball story… I LOVE me some baseball boys.

The first chapter of Strike had me nervous that I wasn’t going to like this book… it’s a bit different then what I’m use to right off the bat, normally this scene would come later on but I will tell you that Reed Tyler grabbed my attention in that chapter. His tactics were a bit…different; you’ll see what I mean lol. Reed is twenty-five years old and a baseball player for the Texas Bandits. His dad also had a love of baseball but passed away a few years back and his mom is just a bitch…. I am not a fan. Reed inherited money from his grandparents, put that on top of his baseball salary and he is loaded!

Jaycee Shumway is twenty years old and had a rough life. She wouldn’t trade it for anything because she has her little brother, Jon, and sister, Bitsy, who she loves unconditionally; they are her world. Their mom passed away when Jaycee was seventeen and she picked up the reigns for their small family, so they could be together. Jaycee works at a local burger place and attends college a few nights a week in hopes that one day she can get a good paying job to put Jon and Bitsy through college. Word gets out that there are some baseballs that someone on the black market would pay A LOT of money for. Being that they live in a neighborhood that isn’t the best word gets around fast and now Jaycee has to make a decision…. try to get the balls and hope she doesn’t get caught or keep moving forward with the way things are.

Like I said when I first started this book, I had my reservations but the further along I got, the more I enjoyed it. Although Play is still my number one book in this series so far, I did enjoy Reed and Jaycee’s story. I loved how Reed didn’t bat an eye at the lifestyle Jaycee chose to protect and keep her family together and how he took charge. He didn’t only take charge when it came to the simple everyday things; he also took charge in the bedroom…. OH MY! I’m wondering if I will look at a chair the same way now. I love, loved, loved Jaycee’s character. If I was put in that situation with my own siblings you bet your butt I would have done everything she did and not bat an eye at it. Family ALWAYS comes first. You can’t help but fall head over heels completely for Reed at 94%, my eyes got watery and my heart was full. If you are looking for quick fun read with HOT athletes grab this series!



https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18485068-play


Holly S. Roberts is the bestselling author of fourteen novels, and writes under three pen names. A romantic
at heart, she fell in love at the age of twelve with a boy she saw across junior high school campus. Four years later, he took notice and she never let go. Her career in law enforcement gives her a reason to want romance, happy endings, and anything that takes her away from real life when she reads and writes. She can shoot a mean game of pool, toss back a straight shot of tequila, and recite the Gettysburg Address. Holly lives high in the mountains in the southwest United States with her husband, Rottweiler and Chihuahua.



No comments:

Post a Comment