Saturday, March 8, 2014

Never Been Ready by J.L. Berg Review



Leah Morgan was done with men. After barely surviving a horrendous childhood, and a boyfriend who bailed when things got rough, Leah had given up on love. Then she met him, Hollywood’s new golden boy who suddenly had eyes only for her. She tried to convince herself that one night couldn’t hurt, but after six months, the memories of his mesmerizing gaze and searing touch still invaded her every thought.

Declan James had just one rule when it came to women. Keep it simple, and never linger. That all changed the moment he met Leah. Even across a crowded bar, he could tell she was different. Sweet, with just the right amount of sass, she made him break his golden rule and now he couldn’t walk away.

When casual becomes anything but, and emotions run deep, will Leah and Declan fight their fears, or let old insecurities tear them apart? When Declan’s past comes roaring back in a way neither of them could have expected, will they stand united or be torn apart by the challenges that lie ahead?

It was only supposed to be one night, but only forever will do.




Never Been Ready is the second novel in J.L. Berg’s Ready Series and is every bit as satisfying as When You’re Ready was. I absolutely fell in love with Leah in When You’re Ready and I was beyond excited to get my hands on her story in this novel. There’s attitude, heartbreak, and heartwarming romance that can be enjoyed by all readers.

Leah is the opposite of her best friend Clare. She has this unapologetic sass and speaks her mind. I loved her brazen attitude and fiery personality. Having been burned in the past, Leah has written off relationships for brief hookups that satisfy her now instead of forever. Despite her aversion to commitment, a brief fling with Declan James (alluded to in When You’re Ready) has gotten under her skin and left her wanting more.

Declan James is the male version of Leah Morgan. This hotshot actor is allergic to commitment after being soured years ago. Women have a “Best if Used By” date and expire after one night in Declan’s eyes. He refuses to bed the same woman twice. Despite his inability to recycle, his one night of passion with Leah has been burned in his mind and is all he envisions while bedding other women.

Unable to deny their passion, the pair agrees to a purely physical relationship. Their chemistry is like dynamite and their connection is electric. Soon after their tryst begins emotions and jealousy surface. Neither character is able to deny how deep their connection runs. I loved the constant pull and push between this couple. I wanted for their barriers to fall away and love to prevail, but both Leah and Declan had to deal with the baggage from their past before they could claim the happily ever after their future offered. Their incredible journey is full of breaking obstacles and building hope.

I was sucked into this story from start to finish. I absolutely swooned over When You’re Ready and this book was no different. J.L. Berg delivers another hit that won’t disappoint current fans of the series and will lure in new readers who haven’t experienced these literary delights. Her writing is perfection and immensely satisfying. This novel is the perfect blend of heartbreak, drama, and heartwarming romance that will coax you in and capture your heart.

If you haven’t indulged in J.L. Berg’s Ready Series, I highly recommend these FIVE STAR MUST READ novels. You’ll fall in love with these characters and stories. I cannot wait for the next installment in this series!






I’m a California native, who lives in the South – Virginia to be exact. I still prefer sushi to fried chicken, avocados to okra, and I absolutely loathe humidity. I do love watching the seasons change though. My husband and I have been here for ten years, and I still get giddy like a school girl every time it snows.

I’m married to my high school sweetheart. We were married young, barely out of high school. Everyone told us we were crazy and stupid. We’ll be celebrating 12 years of marriage this year, and I love him more every single day. We’re living proof that true love knows no age limit.

We’ve been blessed with two beautiful daughters who continue to amaze and inspire me, and are probably making me go a bit insane. I’m obsessed with yoga and pilates and am a complete chocoholic. I apologize in advance for the amount of sweets in my book.

I’m absolutely obsessed with romance novels (duh) and probably could have built a vacation home with the amount of money I’ve invested in them over the years. Romance novels take you to another place, making your heart race, emotions swell, passion run free. After so many years of meeting hundreds of fictional characters and discovering their worlds, I found myself creating my own.

I am represented by Jill Marsal of Marsal Lyon Literary Agency, LLC.





No comments:

Post a Comment