Thursday, May 29, 2014

Blog Tour: Last Second Chance by Caisey Quinn

 

Title: Last Second Chance
Author: Caisey Quinn
Release Date: May 12, 2014

When Stella Jo Chandler gets an offer to work at the Second Chance Ranch celebrity rehab facility right after graduating from Texas A&M, she’s tempted to turn it down. She wants to help real people with real problems, not spoiled celebrities going on vacation for publicity. But growing up on her family’s ranch left her with a love of horses that draws her to the opportunity. 

How bad can babysitting a bunch of strung out celebrities be? 

What she didn’t count on was being roped into a tangled mess with infamous rocker and three-time rehab drop out Van Ransom on her first day. And she sure didn’t expect to feel the overwhelming attraction that pulls her to the man who has more issues than she can count on both hands. Like the hotel rooms and tour buses he’s famous for trashing, the havoc he could wreak on Stella’s heart would be irreparable. 

Van isn’t at Second Chance for publicity or because he’s suffering from “exhaustion”. He’s on the brink of destruction, and he needs the kind of help Stella isn’t sure she can give. But without her, he'll lose everything. Because he’s on his last second chance.

MA 17+ Content
 “Tell me. Tell me how you feel.”
His hand reached over and clasped the riding crop. She couldn’t stand the thought of letting him hit her with it again if he wasn’t going to finish what he’d started.
“I feel pissed, all right? And if you hit me with that fucking thing one more time and do not let me come, then you better leave me tied up.”
His answering grin made her want to slap his face. “What do you want to do to me right now?”
“Slap you. Hard,” she answered honestly as hot tears filled her eyes.
“But you can’t, can you?” The gleam in his eyes further ignited her fury. Her chest heaved, bringing her breasts into her own line of sight.
“No. I can’t. But I doubt you plan to leave me like this forever.” She would’ve shrugged to feign nonchalance if it were physically possible.
“Tell me what you’re going to do when  and if I untie you.” He stared down at her, clearly exerting his dominance.
Just as she opened her mouth to answer, he thrust two fingers roughly inside her.
“Oh!” she cried out unexpectedly.
“Tell me or I stop,” he said, plunging in and out steadily.
“I need to know… I need to know where this is going,” she whispered as she fought for breath. She had no idea how much more her body could take. His arm flexed as he controlled every bit of her pleasure with his hand. Licking his lips, his eyes met hers.
“Seriously? I think a better question might be where is it not going.   And whether or not I plan to untie you.”  

Last Second Chance starts with us meeting Stella Jo Chandler as shes getting ready to graduate college. She's hoping to start a new job at Second Chance Ranch, which is a recovery center for the rich and famous. Stella is trying to stay as far away from home as she can. After falling off her beloved horse, Angel Breath, which resulted in her seriously hurting her leg and Angel Breath being put down, she left home as soon as she could. It didn't help that her mother was always pushing her into things she didn't necessarily want and that her father would just pretend she didn't exist. On her first day at Second Chance Ranch, Stella meets "Mr. Walker".

Van Ransom aka "Mr. Walker" has lived the rock and roll lifestyle for years now. After growing up with a drug addict mother and then having his sister die, he really just doesn't care. Drugs, booze and women help shut his inner demons down and he doesn't see why he should stop. That is until he overdoses and his new record label hands him an ultimatum... go to rehab and get clean or they will walk away and never sign him... ever. Not only would he lose his label, his manager who's the closest to family he has but he will lose his band; which would be looking for a new lead singer with him gone. Checking into Second Chance Ranch is the last thing he wants to do but he figures he'll bullshit his way through the 90 days and then be out in no time. That is until he bumps into someone, who for once in his life stirs something within him.


"She was the first woman he'd ever hated on sight. Because one look at her and he knew. Knew everything he'd ever done was sick and wrong and made him the kind of man who would never be good enough. But when she looked back at him with those gleaming emerald eyes wide with surprise and darkening with need, none of that mattered. Because he damn sure felt the overwhelming desire to try to be. Like his fucking life depend on it."


This story started off good for me, I'm a sucker for the bad boy rocker. I also liked that Stella was fighting her own battles too. These two have an instant draw to each other and banter back and forth A LOT. Stella knows she can't mingle with the clients or she'll be fired and Van can't get kicked out of rehab or his life as he knows it is over. They try hard to fight their connection but after Stella goes out and talks with the in-house therapist, Miranda, she knows life is too short and she wants to risk it all to be with Van. Once they final got together it was STEAMY! Who knew that Van had a certain side to him and Miss Stella would love it!

The side characters in the book had me very intrigued. I would LOVE to get Jesse's story and Miranda's as well. Caisey used one of the horses as a main focus. Shadowdancer might actually be one of my favorite characters. I love animals so I thought this was perfect. Animals love you and put their full trust in you, you just have to let them in and they can help you as well. Nash, Stella's ex-boyfriend and Tess, Stella's best friend from college.... not sure how my feelings are about them. I disliked them both at first for what they did to Stella but I guess when you know... you know. I think Nash said it best with:

"I hate that I wasn't the guy for you and that when I found the girl for me, it hurt you-or it would've hurt you if you would've let it. What I'm trying to say is, I wish things had happened differently. But what I have with Tess.... Some sins are worth it"

This review was hard to write. I'm a HUGE Caisey Quinn fan but this book just didn't completely do it for me. It kept me going until about 60% then it dragged a bit. I connected with this book on the addiction side. I've personally been through hell and back with loved ones and their addictions, their struggle of daily life and overcoming a battle that will always be there for them. I believe Caisey has experience in this as well, so her writing was dead on. The emotions, feelings, all of it was spot on. For me when Stella Jo goes home and learns what drove her parents to the way they were, was one of WTH. I'm still not sure how I feel about it. I get it, I really do, but it kind of felt a little overboard. I was very happy with the ending, REALLY happy actually. Would I recommend this book? Yes, I would :)



Caisey Quinn lives in Birmingham, Alabama with her husband, daughter, and other assorted animals. She is the bestselling author of the Kylie Ryans series as well as several New Adult Romance novels featuring country girls finding love in unexpected places.

Facebook | Twitter | Website | Goodreads



1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for the honest and heartfelt review! And for participating in the blog tour!

    ReplyDelete