Saturday, May 31, 2014

Changing Tunes by Heather Gunter Review Tour



Changing Tunes is a New Adult Romance by the fabulous Heather Gunter and today we get to share our thoughts with you.  To celebrate the tour Changing Tunes is on sale for just 99c so be sure to grab your copy - you won't be disappointed!



Title:   Changing Tunes
Series:   The Changing Series
Author:  Heather Gunter
Genre:  New Adult
Release Date:  February 16, 2014
Cover Design:  Robin Harper of Wicked by Design




Ashley Davis is over her high school 'bitch' label and has decided to reinvent herself. College offers a new beginning, a chance to be different. After being assaulted, she's realized that she needs to change and college is just the place to do it. Nobody knows the Ashley she used to be and she'd like to keep it that way.
Afraid of falling into the same patterns she decides that having no friends, no life and focusing on school is the way to go, but she didn’t bank on someone like Mac as her roommate or the tall, dark and completely geek hot in his glasses, Zeke Whitman.

Ezekiel (Zeke) Whitman is driven and focused when it comes to school. When he's forced to partner with a tall, leggy blonde with a slight attitude, he's thrown for a loop. With so much at stake, Zeke can’t afford distractions and Ashley is certainly that. From their first encounter Zeke sees more than just another gorgeous girl.

As Ashley grapples with leaving the ‘old’ her behind, she realizes that sometimes changing tunes isn't as easy as it sounds. Sometimes you have to keep a little of the person that you were, in order to become the person that you want to be.






                        





A look of pure desire encases his face, and if I wasn’t trying to be just friends with him, I’d climb over the table and throw myself at him like an animal in heat. But I don’t. I refrain, and it’s one of the hardest things I’ve ever done.  I quickly jump up to keep myself from becoming a woman in heat, and busy myself by grabbing another bottle of water out of the refrigerator. I open it and drink several large gulps, using my arms to wipe the excess off of my lips. When I set my water down, I notice Zeke staring at me. And what he says is nearly my undoing.

“I’ve never, in my life, wanted to be a bottle of water…until now.”

I think my mouth opens. My heart is beating a million miles a minute and my skin is on fire. I feel a pull towards him I can’t explain. I can’t move; I’m frozen in place. He walks towards me and raises his hand to my mouth and traces my lips with his thumb.

“Such pretty lips.”

I don’t move, I can’t. But my mouth finally finds words. “We’re friends, right?”

His eyes swirl with emotion, and I see him fighting something internally when he takes a step back and lowers his hand. “You’re right, I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have done that. That was highly inappropriate of me, and certainly not fair to you.”





Changing Tunes is the first in what I think is going to be a pretty fantastic new NA series. When we first meet Ashley it’s in Heartstrings (book two in the YA Love Notes series). There really is nothing redeeming about Ashley. She is a “Queen B” and thrives off the attention and drama she gets/creates wherever she goes. She’s selfish, manipulative and well a straight up bitch. Without hesitation she went after the characters that I had grown to love in the Love Notes series. When Heather said she was going to be doing a new series and the first book would have Ashley as the “heroine”, I flinched. Could it be done? I had no love for this character…all she did was piss me off and make me want to bitch slap her senseless. But the thing you need to know about Heather is she’s always up for the challenge. She saw something in Ashley that I didn’t…not at first. When she explained her vision for Changing Tunes I got my ass on board and wound up falling in love with Ash and all the new characters you’ll meet. In the first few chapters of Changing Tunes I was rooting for Ash. I NEEDED her to get an HEA…she deserved true friendship and love; things you learn quickly she had never in her life experienced.

When Changing Tunes begins, Ash is off to college. She didn’t have an easy end to her senior year of high school and struggled with a traumatic event that the people closest to her never believed her about. Her goal is to change…to be a new Ash for a new place and time. It’s also something she quickly discovers isn’t the easiest thing to do – change that is – when the pressures of your old life still haunt you. I don’t know if I’d go so far as to call Ash “boy-crazy” but she definitely can appreciate a fine looking guy and used to have no qualms about whether he was taken or not. Though she’s leaving her man-stealing ways in the past, she still needs the control she feels from those one-nighters. That is until she meets Zeke. Meeting and eventually letting Zeke in releases something in Ash that I’m not sure she truly recognized was broken or maybe she wasn’t fully ready to admit was. When you grow up a certain way and it’s all you know it is what becomes your “norm”. But the way her new friends, including Zeke and her roommate, Mac, shows her how people love, how they are compassionate, how they take care of each other and how experiencing those things lets you heal.

Both Zeke and Ash are immediately attracted to one another…but don’t get freaked out it’s not the dreaded “insta-love”. When they meet for the first time Ash is contemplatively taking a trip down memory lane and literally runs right into Zeke. Snark, sass and ‘tude ensues but the two leave a lasting impression on each other. It takes a while for these two to give into their feelings both emotional and physical for one another; they both have their reasons for needing to stay focused on their schooling and not each other. It’s a challenge for them both, one they ultimately give into and something that eventually threatens to break them apart.

Zeke has no room in his life for any kind of disruptions; even for a beautiful and somewhat damaged young woman that has grabbed his attention. He’s made mistakes in his past that he has taken full responsibility for and which are part of the driving force behind his focus on school. But there is just something that continually draws him to Ash and he can’t let go. Those mistakes I mentioned? The ones that he lets drive his every choice in the now? Nope can’t tell ya…but man will it be a surprise and also the very reason that might pull Ash and Zeke apart.

There is no way you can’t walk away from Changing Tunes without compassion and love for Ash and all the other wonderful characters. It’s one of those things where you really don’t know someone until you KNOW them…even if they are a fictional characters. There is so much in Ash’s past that drives the way she talks, the way she thinks, the way she treats others and lets herself be treated. Heather did an incredible job once again drawing me into the characters, their stories and making me not just connect but feel. I may have required some of my trusty Puffs a few times. In the end you are left with an HEA but wanting more. Heather has a lot of plans for this series but I hope she will give us some more Ash and Zeke…I definitely want to see what happens after “Happily Ever After”.






I went into this book not sure what to expect.  This was my first book by Heather Gunter and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. Right from the beginning I didn’t like Ashley, but there was something there that made me feel for her.  As the story progressed she slowly made her way into my heart until I was cheering for her.

Ashley Davis is ready for a change. She is ready to leave the mean girl image at home and start over in college. Her goal is to go through college without making friends and forming any connections with anyone. That plan is blown the instant she meets her roommate Mac. They form a friendship that is unlike anything Ashley has experienced before.  For the first time she has a true friend, one that will stand by her side no matter what. 

Zeke Whitman has one goal, to get through college with no distractions. He has no plans of starting any relationships. There is too much at risk, his family needs him to finish college. That is till he runs into Ashley and instantly things change. 

I really enjoyed Ashley and Zeke’s story. I devoured it and couldn’t put it down. I had to find out what was going to happen to them.  Heather had a way of making me feel in this book. I connected with Ashley even if I didn’t like her all the time.  I am really looking forward to Mac’s book and seeing where her story goes. It will definitely be a one clicker as soon as it’s released.  







Heather is a devoted mother of three gorgeous boys.  She balances spending as much time with them as possible with writing, updating her Into the Night Reviews book blog and her day job.  Her love of animals sees her home in Canton, GA bursting with numerous dogs and ferrets.

Heather campaigns passionately for anti-bullying initiatives and has a strong conviction to reduce peoples suffering at the hands of bullies.

A talented singer, who once dreamed of pursuing a career in that field, she has put that goal aside in exchange for her writing.  A self proclaimed geek, whatever spare time she has is spent curled on the couch reading and listening to music.





                        Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Smashwords












Look for Tattered Pieces by Heather Gunter - Coming Soon

Riding high on the waves of success, Dove Sinclair, lead singer of Tattered Pieces, has it all - until one fateful night her party hard lifestyle almost costs her everything. Stupid and reckless doesn't even begin to describe her actions. Getting arrested definitely wasn't in the game plan, nor was an enforced stay in the Serenity Lakeview Clinic. If Dove wants to keep her band, her career and her life, then there is no alternative. The question is, will rehab force her to deal with the things that have triggered her reckless behavior or will she continue trying hard to forget and fade further into the dark.

Jasper Phillips is the kind of guy everyone loves. He comes from a good family, works hard and seems to have it all. Friendly, positive and popular are words people use to describe Jasper regularly. Sometimes what’s on the outside is only what we want people to see, while on the inside we’re battling demons that are too frightening to describe. When those demons manage to catch up to you, the whispers of their world becomes a very inviting place.

Dove doesn’t understand how Jasper fits in at Serenity Lakeview Clinic but something about him calls to her, awakening her desire to feel alive and normal again. As Jasper battles his inner darkness he is drawn to Dove, all the while fearing that if she gets close enough she won't like what she sees. As Jasper struggles to stay in the light, can he help Dove see what she has right in front of her?






Review Tour hosted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment